Author Topic: Missing airman in Burma, Ken Orton. Can we find his family?  (Read 2226 times)

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Missing airman in Burma, Ken Orton. Can we find his family?
« on: Sunday 07 January 18 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon, I was looking at a Facebook page I frequent (Aircraft of the Cold War) and came across this message from a gentleman named Tom Leone, from North Carolina, USA. I was wondering whether we might be able to help as it seems a very worthwhile request: :) Mr Leone is aware of my posting.
 Hi fellas, during WW2 my dad was an Instructor pilot under the Arnold Scheme at A place called Darr aerotech in Albany
Ga. He instructed British flight cadets how to fly in American aircraft. He had one Cadet, Ken T Orton, who left a photo of himself and his address at the time(Twickenham) he later went KIA in 1944 in Burma flying P-47’s. I came upon his photo and would like to send it to his family. Have not been able to find them. Anyone help?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Missing airman in Burma, Ken Orton. Can we find his family?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 January 18 15:59 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this is his birth
Births Jun qtr 1923
Kenneth T Orton   mmn  Thomas   
Kingston    2a   72
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 January 18 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

Believe this may be his CWGC entry: https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1815753/orton,-kenneth-thomas/

Commemorated on the Singapore Memorial. Died on 2nd October 1944.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 January 18 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Some info here about 146 squadron here: https://www.raf.mod.uk/history/146squadron.cfm

They were based in Burma at the time of Orton's death flying Thunderbolts.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 January 18 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Wikipedia entry for 146 squadron here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._146_Squadron_RAF

Shows that the squadron were flying 'Rebublic P-47 Thunderbolt mark 2's' at the time of Orton's death.

Kind regards

David

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 January 18 17:26 GMT (UK) »
his address at the time(Twickenham)

Do you have this address
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 January 18 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, thanks for the comments.Mr Leone says he will look up his notes when he returns home from Florida, so hopefully he has an address at the time. :)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 January 18 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Operations log book for 146 squadron for month of October 1944 at the National Archives here: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8389105

Flight Sergeant Orton is mentioned on the first page (image 2), unfortunately without downloading the log book (cost of £3.50) what exactly happened to him cannot be ascertained.

Hope this helps though.

Kind regards

David

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 January 18 19:47 GMT (UK) »
I'm guessing that the Twickenham address may have been a wartime address rather than the family home.

The birth entry found must be the right one as the only other Kenneth T. born 1920 can be accounted for.

I think his parents were a Robert Edwin Orton b.9/4/1891, died 1970 Uckfield, Sussex and Hilda Marian Thomas b.21/10/1892, died 1984 Kendal, Westmorland.  They married 1917 in Croydon.

Besides Kenneth Thomas born 1923 they had one other child - a son born 1920 Kingston.   I won't name here as it's possible he is still living, as is his wife.

This son married a lady named Jean in Sept.1943 in Westmorland.   They had 2 daughters born Westmorland South in 1945 and 1949.   Both daughters married there too (1970 and 1973) but can find no trace of either after their marriages, nor any children born to either in the UK.

I'm assuming that after death of her husband Hilda Marian moved to Westmorland to be close to her only remaining son.   The 2014 electoral roll (the most recent one I have access too) shows this son and his wife living in Kendal (where Hilda died).   If still alive, this son would be 97 and wife 95 or indeed either or both could have died between 2014 and now.

Perhaps others can check my findings to see if they agree with me and, if so, what possible course of action bearing in mind Kenneth's only sibling and his wife are in their late 90's if still alive and his 2 nieces apparently vanish after their respective marriages in the 1970's.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk