Author Topic: Netherthong area  (Read 745 times)

Offline NLA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Netherthong area
« on: Sunday 07 January 18 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,  I hope you can help me or point me in the correct direction to answer some questions that I have.
My ancestors attended the Wesleyan Church in Netherthong Yorkshire between 1817 and 1827.  At least 4 of their children were baptised in the church according to baptism entries for the church.  They lived in Deanhouse and their last name was Schofield.
One or two of the children died young.  I have not been able to find any burial or death records for them or that church. The only death records are after 1830 for the All Saints Church (C of E).
My questions are, would the Wesleyan Church have kept these records and how could I access them remotely?  I live in Canada. I have reached out to the Wesleyan Church in area and they messaged me that they have passed on my enquiry to other sources, but nothing has come back yet.
Also, is there is a cemetery at the church and if there is are there any records of the tombstones and would the stones still exist?  If they weren't buried on church land, where would they be buried? I appreciate any help you can give me.  Whether you can answer these questions, or advise me who might be able to help me. Kindest regards.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Netherthong area
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 January 18 17:35 GMT (UK) »
West Yorkshire Archive Service might be able to help.  Kirklees = Central Library, Huddersfield - hold the Wesleyan records for baptisms 1784-1956, and burials 1862-1940.

Needless to say, Non-Conformists were just that - they didn't play by the same rules as C of E  ;D

This side-by-side map might be of use to you, as well.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=53.5830&lon=-1.7867&layers=6&right=BingHyb
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 January 18 17:49 GMT (UK) »
The former Methodist church is now a private dwelling - photo here:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Almondbury/PhotoFrames/NetherthongExMethFreeGeograph_HB
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline NLA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 January 18 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you KGarrad and BumbleB for your replies.
KGarrad, what street is the church on? Is it the church on Haigh Lane and St. Mary's Rd?
BumbleB, I have sent emails to the places you have suggested. I have never seen the side by side map before.  A great idea.
If the Non-Conformists didn't have records of their burials until 1830, would they bury them somewhere else?
Our ancestors did not make it easy to find them.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 January 18 19:33 GMT (UK) »
There's a map here: http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/churchmap?GR=SE1388409785

Red flags are Anglican; Green flags are Methodist.
Green 5 is the Methodist Church at Netherthong.

Would appear to be on Giles St?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline NLA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 January 18 20:24 GMT (UK) »
KGarrad, are the Wesleyan Church on Haigh Lane and the Methodist Church on Giles St not different churches?

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 January 18 20:27 GMT (UK) »
I was using this list:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Almondbury/ChurchesBaptistAndMethodist
Which only mentions 1 church in Netherthong?

Offline NLA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 January 18 20:33 GMT (UK) »
KGarrad, thank you for the link.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 January 18 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Ah! From Huddersfield.guide:

The Deanhouse Wesleyan Church built at Haigh Lane, Deanhouse, in 1769 was one of the oldest in the area and John Wesley himself preached there in 1772 and 1773. It later became known as Netherthong Wesley's Methodist Church. The congregation joined the Netherthong Zion Methodist Church in 1958 and the original chapel was converted to a house. The Zion chapel in Giles Street had been built by breakaway Wesleyan Reformers in 1872, but this chapel had also closed by 1985.

http://huddersfield.guide/content.pl?action=netherthong