Author Topic: Waaf medal issue  (Read 1772 times)

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waaf medal issue
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 January 18 09:34 GMT (UK) »
In theory a women may have been awarded both WW1 medals and then served later as a WAAF in WW2, but is there any historical record of this actually occurring. A lot less women served overseas in WW1 than stayed in the home front. Of the fewer women who served overseas in WW1, did any of them join the WAAF in WW2?
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 January 18 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Tonepad makes a very good point. While I have no knowledge one way or another I found this which gives me pause:

https://thedebrief.co.uk/news/real-life/story-british-woman-fight-world-wars-pretty-incredible/

I'd certainly suggest trying to find a definitive answer before wearing the medals.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 January 18 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Unless or until someone comes up with the name(s) of a woman or women who precisely fit your criteria, my inclination is to go with probability.

Would a woman serving abroad have been entitled to receive medals?  Yes - the British War Medal and the Victory Medal (terms and conditions apply!)

Was the Victory Medal issued as often as the British War Medal? Definitely not (see previous posts and links)

Did people who served in WW1 also serve in WW2? - Yes, many people.

A woman who served in WW1 may well have been entitled to the BWM and might possibly have been entitled to the VM (depending on where she served).

If you wear only the BWM (blue, black, white, orange) ribbon I think you are on safe ground.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 January 18 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Eminently sensible suggestion from Philip.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia