Author Topic: Charles Harrington  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Brutushedge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Harrington
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 January 18 20:27 GMT (UK) »
avm228 and keyboard 86

This is all tremendously exciting, and could be on the verge of solving a family mystery of nearly 100 years or more.
I am sorry, but as a beginner at this is have no idea how to read the census references you so kindly quote. Can you tell me how to read these? Sorry to seem dim!

Offline Brutushedge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 January 18 20:29 GMT (UK) »
The Bytes references could be particularly significant to read.
Thanks again.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 January 18 20:35 GMT (UK) »
The references are intended to help you find an online census page regardless of which provider you are using and regardless of indexing errors.

For 1881 they are in the form RG11/Piece/Folio/Page
For 1891 they are in the form RG12/Piece/Follo/Page

You can enter the values in the relevant Piece, Folio and Page fields on specific census search forms (e.g. 1881 England; 1891 England) and the people on the correct page, including yours, should turn up as the results.

However in this case if you prefer to search by name for the eldest daughter Maria Harrington b abt 1880 in Bures you should find them OK. (Her birth was actually registered as Maria Jane Harrington, Dec qtr 1879 Sudbury).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 January 18 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Do you know what became of Charles in life?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Brutushedge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 January 18 21:19 GMT (UK) »
avm228

Thank you so much again for explaining this. I now need to piece it all together.
It just may be that Charles was my paternal grandfather, whose past has been shrouded in mystery for over a century. His life was quite an adventure, and I will happily post the details and fill in the gaps, but first I have to check through the facts you have given me. It's hard to believe this might be the answer, so please bear with me just a little longer!

Huge thanks for all this info so far.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 January 18 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi it may well be he was named after his Uncle, Charles Harrington, who Alice b 1889 is living with in 1911, Rebecca b 1887 is still with Aunt Mary Brown.
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brutushedge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 January 18 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks keyboard 86.
More useful info.
Grateful for anymore, but will try and collate it all and tell the whole story.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, I have now checked the births/marriages of the children of George Harrington and Alice Cook in 1891 census,  and in the case of George b 1891, his death June qtr 1895 Sudbury aged 4, it should be noted that George/Alice also had a son b 1884 Sudbury a Frederick CHARLES Harrington mmn Cook and his marriage to Florence White in Ware, Hertfordshire
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brutushedge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi keyboard 86,
Thanks for this. Another piece in the puzzle!
Yes, I've been checking George and Alice's children too. Had noticed young George's death in 1895, and also found Rose Emma and Frederick Charles in the 1901 census, Baldersby St. James, Yorkshire, working for Robert and Catherine Buckton.
Also in 1901, Caroline Kate is a servant to William and Mary Calvert in Vange, Essex.
I am surmising that the family disintegrated with the death of Alice and birth of Charles in 1892, followed by young George's death in 1895. The only child I'm still not quite sure about is Maria J(or E?) b.1880. I wondered about a Maria Harrington d. 10 March 1893, buried in St. Edmondsbury, Bury St. Edmunds, but am not at all sure.
Whatever, the children were obviously sent away and mostly apart, before 1901, which would certainly fit in with the Charles b. 1892 running away and being taken into Hundon Poorhouse in1903. I am still not sure he is my grandfather, as he has changed his surname (to hide?). The family has searched for decades for history of him, and I have only been led down this track by DNA testing. I know it is far from foolproof, but over the past 2 years I have had several close hits from a whole line of Harringtons, and the family has no known connection to that name.
As I said, I will willingly share more of this story when I check more facts and compare some more DNA results. Thank you and everyone else who continue to contribute to this important story. Yet again the Rootschat forum is providing essential information to my family research.