Author Topic: Charles Harrington  (Read 2894 times)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Harrington
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, seeing the occupation of George Harrington at the marriage of Rebecca ie Shepherd leads me to a 1901 census for a George Harrington 44 occ Shepherd b Alphamelton Essex or similar to 1891 with Alice, with wife Sarah J 45 b Rattlesden, Suffolk plus Cornelious Giddens 10 and John Allcroft 6 at Abbotts Hall, Ongar, Essex
Have not checked 1891 just throwing it in!
Census ref RG13/1643/20/8
Keyboard86

PS it is Alphamstone approx 6 Km from Sudbury.
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brutushedge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi there!
Yes, I had seen that and wondered if he'd remarried? It certainly made sense when you posted Rebecca's marriage.
But who are those children? Adopted orphans?
Brutushedge.

Offline Brutushedge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Have also found that Rose Emma Harrington (b. 1882), married Christopher Carling in Ripon, July 1902, and died in Caro, Yorks in 1967. They had at least 3 children, and in 1911 had a servant or two. Nice to see that after what appears to be the massive breakup of the family that some of the siblings of Charles are having potentially good lives!

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 20:40 GMT (UK) »
 :) To be honest I still wonder why the family already had someone in the family with Charles in his name eg Frederick Charles, I have seen Elizabeth/Eliza in same household, but just wondering why Charles is either so relevant to this surname, or we/you have wrong Charles?
Keyboard86

PS John Allcroft 17 thinks he was born West Ham in 1911.
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brutushedge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Well, I completely see your point. I had noticed the Elizabeth Eliza, but thought well, perhaps they thought of them as different names. And Frederick Charles is different from  just Charles. Charles. The significance of Charles may yet become apparent, and birth certificate may give more proof of parentage. As to if he is my Charles, I may never be able to prove that unequivocally, but Harrington is very strong on my Y chromosome DNA and I can find no other links to that name in any other parts of my tree. Cook also has a lot of DNA hits. As I've said, I know all too well that DNA testing is fallible, but this is the closest I have got to making any sense of the story I know through family remembrance, and the documented evidence of Charles's life from 1903 onwards. It may turn out to be a false hope, but I am enjoying the research anyway!
Thanks for the Allcroft lead!
Brutushedge.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 21:15 GMT (UK) »
I suppose if Alice was dead or dying as a result of the birth, the naming of the baby might not have received the careful attention it deserved.

Still, definitely the right thing to have ordered Charles' birth certificate so as to be sure he's from this family.  If it were me I'd be getting Alice's death certificate too, but more out of curiosity than anything else.

Some school records from Bures St Mary Voluntary School:

Jane Harrington born 15 Oct 1879, dau of George.  Admitted 11 June 1883.  Completed Std V in 1891.
Rose Harrington born 06 Oct 1881, dau of George.  Admitted 06 Oct 1884; 13 Apr 1885; 13 Feb 1888.
Frederic(k) Harrington born January 1884, son of George.  Admitted 13 Feb 1888; left 09 Aug 1895.
Kate Harrington born October 1885. Admitted 01 Apr 1889.  Readmitted 28 Apr 1890.
Rebecca Harrington born 03 March 1887.  Admitted 29 Apr 1890; 10 Aug 1891; 10 May 1892; 19 Sep 1892.
Alice Harrington born 01 October 1888.  Admitted 10 May 1892; readmitted 19 Sep 1892.
George Harrington born 05 December 1890.  Admitted 3 April 1894.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Brutushedge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Yep, Alice's death certificate is next on my list!
Thanks for the schools info.
Brutushedge

Offline Brutushedge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 21 January 18 15:11 GMT (UK) »
My apologies for straying from this thread. I think my enthusiasm for this trail got the better of me, but will now post everything on here.

As promised,  I can now give latest update re Charles Harrington b. 1892, Sudbury. I have received the birth certificate I mentioned and he was indeed born to George Harrington and Alice Cook in September 1892, in Bures, Suffolk, so the research so far has been about the right family. Huge thanks for all your help with this. It is extraordinary that he seems to be totally missing from any of the other family history. I have managed to contact descendants of 2 of his siblings: Rebecca, b.1887, and Frederick Charles, b. 1884. From memories the current families have, no one had heard of Charles. His mother Alice died the same month as he was born, and I am waiting for her death certificate to see if she died in childbirth. Could it be that he was given to someone else to be raised and his siblings didn't know him? Following Alice's death, the family split up, as you have helped me discover, possibly due to Alice's husband George Harrington's remarriage in 1895 (to Sarah Jane Death nee Steggles). Frederick Charles' (1884) family remember him saying that the Harrington children were angry with their father for remarrying and didn't like the new wife he had. George Harrington seems to have been cut out of their lives, and certainly Frederick Charles would never talk of him.
What is sad is that it seems there was some effort from some of the Harrington children to find and contact their siblings later in life, but with limited success. Rebecca it seems visited Bures to try and find anyone who remembered the family from the time of the split, but without success, and she died not knowing where, and to some degree who her siblings were. The same was true of Frederick Charles' family.

Also from my contacts with Rebecca's family, I have seen photos of her, and we all agree that there is a striking resemblance to my grandfather, whom I now believe was Charles Harrington b. 1892. There is strong DNA evidence through my Y chromosome linking to this Harrington family, and the story of the family split and loss of contact, along with the dates involved all make sense. It does indeed look like this 100 year old mystery in my family could well be solved, and yet again so much has been achieved by the time and effort of people in this forum. I owe you my enormous thanks.

My current task is to try and contact more of the Harrington children's descendants, and possibly put them all in contact again.  Only 2 are now eluding me, and apologies again for deviating from this original complex thread in my search. Maria Jane Harrington, b.1879, Bures, Suffolk, and Alice Harrington, b.1889, Bures, Suffolk.
Keyboard 86 and avm228 were particularly helpful with these in finding Maria Jane as Jane Harrington in Prittlewell, Essex in 1901 (servant to the March family), and Alice in 1901 in Bures, Suffolk with her grandparents, and in White Colne, Essex in 1911 living with her uncle. Can I ask if anyone can find anything more of these 2? As I said, it would help me to see if there are any more descendants to contact, and possibly find some more details of this complex and rather sad story.
My thanks as always for your help.