Author Topic: Marriage  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Sandi Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Marriage
« on: Monday 08 January 18 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year people, My Great grandfather Peder Andersen born 1861 in Denmark and died 1809 in New Zealand, according a record from the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He married a Charlotte on 23/5/1866, I can't find anything on her on any other sites. I don't is this is true?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 January 18 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Sandi.

I don't know what NZ certificates contain, but in many parts of the world a marriage at that time would at least givethe bride and groom's father's names, so obtaining that might be a good place to start.

Do you know Charlotte's surname?

Depending on which record you are looking at on the LDS site, it may or may not be accurate. It is  generally not advised to accept online trees as accurate and it is best to do your own research.

Do you know anything else about Peder and Charlotte? How did your research lead you to this couple? Peter Anderson is a very common name, so you need to ensure that you are following the correct Peter/Peder.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 January 18 20:28 GMT (UK) »
The dates don't quite add up -- born 1861, married 1866, died 1809. Could you take another look please?

Offline Sandi Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 January 18 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about I read the wrong person the marriage date is 1/11/1879, I don't know what Charlotte surname or her parents, sorry

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 January 18 22:22 GMT (UK) »
How is it that you don't know Charlotte's maiden surname? What record do you have that gives her name as Charlotte (but gives no surname)?

Added: I have had a very quick look on Familysearch and no obvious Peder Anderson and Charlotte jumps out at me. Can you tell us exactly whereabouts on the LDS site you found the information about this couple?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 January 18 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from me too.

Which country did the marriage take place in?  Like others - I can't see any marriage to a Charlotte matching the date you give 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 02:36 GMT (UK) »
From what I eventually found on familysearch and then what I subsequently found on Ancestry there is a lot of conflict here and, as usual, sources not given.

The one thing all the trees seem to agree on is that he was born 3/1/1861 in Thisted, Viborg, Denmark BUT there is no such birth entry on familysearch in that place!   Plus, familysearch tree and ancestry trees show different parents!!   Most of the ancestry trees show Peder's parents are Henrik Andersen and Karin Kirstine Ballzegen or Baltzersen BUT although this couple did have a son Peder born 3/1/1861 it was in Pjedsted, Vejle, Denmark!

Peder Anderson married Christine Schumacher 23/5/1886 in Midhirst, Stratford, Taranaki, New Zealand (the same place in which he died in 1909).    The various trees all show that this was a second marriage for him and that first wife was a Charlotte who'd died in 1880.    Again, if this marriage took place 1/11/1879 Denmark she died soon after.   The trees also suggest she was born 1865 which would mean that Peder was 18 and Charlotte 14 when they married??   However, can find no trace of such a marriage.

In view of all the conflicting information I think some serious and thorough research needs to be done to confirm a) names of his parents, b) his correct birthplace and c) where the information regarding 1st wife 'Charlotte' has come from.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 10:53 GMT (UK) »
The one thing all the trees seem to agree on is that he was born 3/1/1861 in Thisted, Viborg, Denmark BUT there is no such birth entry on familysearch in that place!   Plus, familysearch tree and ancestry trees show different parents!!

Hi
I took a look in these books for a Peder in the 2 Thisted parishes but there again Thisted is also a county. There are no records for a Peder with 3/1/1861 dob.

Thisted Land Parish: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lau/

Thisted Parish: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lav/

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Most of the ancestry trees show Peder's parents are Henrik Andersen and Karin Kirstine Ballzegen or Baltzersen BUT although this couple did have a son Peder born 3/1/1861 it was in Pjedsted, Vejle, Denmark!

This Peder exists in the birth book in Pjedsted: http://ao.sa.dk/ao/data.ashx?bid=28140862

1870 Census - with family: http://ao.sa.dk/ao/data.ashx?bid=11801444 - page 1 bottom
 - 1870 Census - with family: http://ao.sa.dk/ao/data.ashx?bid=11801445 - page 2 top
1880 Census - not with family: http://ao.sa.dk/ao/data.ashx?bid=11953651

Ian