Author Topic: Can you help ID this manor house, possibly in Northumberland?  (Read 10699 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help ID this manor house, possibly in Northumberland?
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 13 January 18 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,

Telepathic message from SB, it's WAI 12 before a rebuild in 1908ish. His best friends mothers cousin twice removed  fathers daughter never lived there. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

John915

WAI 12 ? 'Newton le Willows'
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 13 January 18 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,

Telepathic message from SB, it's WAI 12 before a rebuild in 1908ish. His best friends mothers cousin twice removed  fathers daughter never lived there. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

John915

I was getting the same telepathic message too. He would have loved this.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 14 January 18 00:59 GMT (UK) »
You're such a stirrer John.  ;)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 14 January 18 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

Just couldn't resist it Ruskie, too good an opportunity to pass up.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 14 January 18 21:22 GMT (UK) »
I think dobfarm has asked the most telling question so far. Is there anything on the back of the photo? A lot of cdv's have the photographer's name on the back.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline FamilyPhotoReunion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 26 April 18 03:52 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I do apologize for not noticing all the replies to my post about this manor house. So many great ideas here. I appreciate all of the hunting and research that had gone into your thoughtful replies. Regarding the photo itself, I can't say if there is anything written on the back of the manor house image. It's actually pasted (very well) into the photo album. I don't believe I could remove it without damaging the photograph. The paper used for this image is not as heavy as cabinet card or cdv card stock. Most of the cartes in the photo album were taken in the 1870s and 1880s, with a few from the 1860s.

Dobfarm: the cdvs are the type of photo that were produced on cardboard stock and the size of calling cards, roughly  2 1/8" X 3 1/2". They began to be produced in the late 1850s and were most popular in the 1860s and 1870s. The first cdvs were on a thinner card with one or two thin lines as a border, and by the 1880s the cardstock had become heavier and the borders much more ornate.

I have to agree that the manor seems to be in a state of upgrade...it's very bare around the house, and I wonder if renovation work on the house and grounds is the cause. I also think this photo was taken of the back of the house, perhaps to show off the garden.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 26 April 18 15:42 BST (UK) »
Is there any indication from the album that the photos were inserted in date order, if so that could give an approx date of this photo?

I've had a play around with the photo and sharpened it up somewhat to give me the following thoughts.

There is definitely a crest of some sort on the roof of the 'orangery'.  Can you do a higher resolution scan of the photo and post it in sections if necessary?

The mark on the gable end above the 'orangery' appears to be a vertical slit window which was a common way of illuminating roof voids.

I suspect that the gable end just to the left of the gable end with the triple curved detailing has the same detailing.

The building to the left appears to be detailed slightly differently to the 'main' building so might be an earlier building or an ancillary building providing support to the 'main' building, i.e. kitchens etc., servant quarters etc.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 26 April 18 16:43 BST (UK) »
I've scanned the image as high as my feeble scanner will allow. There are definitely hills around this property.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 26 April 18 16:56 BST (UK) »
Another...