Author Topic: NICHOLSON v. NICHOLSON 1830-1837 - A JOHN & GEORGE HOOD Link??  (Read 1588 times)

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
NICHOLSON v. NICHOLSON 1830-1837 - A JOHN & GEORGE HOOD Link??
« on: Monday 08 January 18 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Nicholson v. Nicholson 1830 Chancery Case (with the Bill and three answers between 1830 to 1837 revived), TNA, Kew, was apparently triggered by the death of Samuel Nicholson of Rawcliffe, who had various properties, including numerous properties in Ousegate Selby.

William Bowland and Abraham Hodgson allege that they cannot carry out the trusts of the said Will into execution without the aid and indemnity of a Court of Equity and the said Samuel Nicholson claims to be entitled to the real Estates of the said Testator by descent as his heir at Law.

Bridget Nicholson [*nee Hodgson], the Widow of Samuel Nicholson, is left with an Order of Chancery forcing their property to be sold, offered for sale in newspapers under Nicholson V. Nicholson.

*Claire has discovered:-
in 1811 that Bridget Hodgson married Robert Crampton and
in 1820 Bridget Crampton a Widow married Samuel Nicholson a Widower.

1838 Bridget Nicholson & Others to James Collinson
Samuel Nicholson being Heir at Law is mentioned in the 1838 Nicholson and Others to James Collinson, 1838 property Deed Registration.

According to the 1838 Deed Registration George Hood of Selby Brewer steps in and has signed the registration, splits the property up transferring mainly to Collinson.

The reason why George Hood would be involved in helping the Nicholson's dispose of their property portfolio in 1838 and where the funding came from for George Hood to do this is currently a mystery. If it was loaned from the bank, George Hood was exposing himself to quite a degree of risk. William Hood is still holding the property on Trust for Mrs Collinson, Widow of James Collinson, when Wm Hood of Selby Trustee later advertises that he is Ordering the Sale.

-----------

MAUDLAND

John Hood of Selby Mariner (previously of Scarborough), had a Daughter called MAUDLAND HOOD. The Scarborough Register entry confirmed the baptism spelling.

MAUDLAND HOOD, Married Charles TURNER in Selby in 1794.

Claire has been digging away and found a Selby baptism for SARAH MAUDLAND NICHOLSON in April 1832 Father - Samuel Nicholson, Wheelwright and Elizabeth Nicholson.

Elizabeth Nicholson (above) was a TURNER, Daughter of Charles & Maudland Turner (nee Maudland HOOD).

Motive
I haven't a clue yet why George Hood might put himself at possible financial risk in 1838 involved with all this property, as it would seem that the first portion of 14 Selby properties advertised for sale earlier under NICHOLSON v. NICHOLSON in Ousegate in 1835 didn't sell.

Question
I am left with the question:- If my George Hood was related to John Hood of Selby, Mariner, was there a Bridget Nicholson, Widow, family link to my George Hood?

Mark

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NICHOLSON v. NICHOLSON 1830-1837 - A JOHN & GEORGE HOOD Link??
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello

It looks like this was spotted before, but forgotten I'd posted it.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=782732.msg6372860#msg6372860

What is needed is a family link between the Testator, Samuel Nicholson of Rawcliffe (his Widow being, Bridget Nicholson), To the Samuel Nicholson who married Elizabeth Turner 1832, baptising Sarah MAUDLAND NICHOLSON.

If the above family link can be made and George Hood was helping out Bridget Nicholson, Widow, with her property disposal, it may suggest (not prove) that George Hood was the Son of John Hood of Selby, Mariner.

----------
ADDED

This is the Samuel Nicholson (Testator) leaving the property ... Leeds Mercury newspaper 28th November 1829 ... aged 66, Capt. Samuel Nicholson, of Rawcliffe.

Nicholson Case commencing 1830 (extracts) say:-
 ... Will is dated 17th October 1829 and the Testator Samuel Nicholson died on or about 20th November 1829 ...
Samuel Nicholson Heir at Law and your Gratrix his only daughter him surviving ...
19th February 1830 Bridget Nicholson has Sworn power being reserved for Samuel Nicholson to swear to prove the same when he shall be competant to do so he now being an infant of Seven years or thereabouts and your Gratrix ...

----------

The parties sealing the 1838 Conveyance - Mrs Bridget Nicholson and Others To Mr James Collinson (attached). I don't have the 1838 Conveyance (document seller & buyer unknown), only the copy Memorial held at Wakefield.

Mark

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 May 18 07:14 BST (UK) »
Burial 1803 Selby, Jane Hood wife of John Hood a mariner

Surely records at - The National Maritime Museum Greenwich may have records on this John Hood mariner.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 May 18 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hello dobfarm

Thank you for the suggestion.

I hear the River from Hull to Selby, came under Kingston upon Hull.

This year we must get back to the Hull History Centre and see their Mariner records too, as we want to check out earlier Manor of Selby, records there.

Samuel Tuke (Quaker) who visited George Hood in 1836 to check his suitability to be a Quaker member, kept a Diary. Samuel Tuke's Diaries were privately printed by his family in 1860 in 2 volumes. Surprisingly, the Central Quaker Library does not have them. Enquired at York and a Quaker lady has made a suggestion as to where they might be. Something else for us to locate and see.

Unfortunately, only a later book about Tuke's life and a few diary extracts, is online (seen).

Disappointing news, I wanted to find out if George Hood was buried in a duel grave, with another person unknown to me, but the Grave Plan for the Quaker Burial Ground is not amongst the Selby Collection at Leeds Special Collections, who have the Trustee Deed of the Summerfield Burial Ground.

The Selby Quakers Inscriptions File (Leeds Library FHS Section) has been checked and when the Yorkshire Archaeological Society visited, they simply recorded no stones.

The Memorials now at Selby, are from the Summerfield Farm Quaker Burial Ground, near Drax, which as we discussed before, the farmhouse with outbuildings, wood and burial ground are all ploughed fields on Google Earth.

There is a claim online by someone who once played in the Selby Quaker Burial Ground, that the adjoining car park (to the garden at the rear of the former Meeting House) covers much of the original Selby Quaker burial ground.

Mark

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 May 18 20:37 BST (UK) »
On BBC "W D Y T Y A" there have been a few Celb's, whos ancestors were mariners, where they have found very detailed ship records of their crew on board ships, ports and arrival/destination dates at the National Maritime Museum Greenwich. Most of the coaster boats/ships would stem from London the years John Hood of Selby's life as a mariner and establish who he was or if there was more than one John Hood of Selby - One in the land tax records and maybe another visiting Selby port periodically as a mariner for John Hood the mariner the husband of Jane Hood buried Selby 1803.

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 June 18 01:22 BST (UK) »
Hello dobfarm

Thank you very much.

There was definitely a Selby to London and Selby and Hull link to London.

You have a very good point, to try the Maritime Museum archives.

Mark

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 June 18 03:26 BST (UK) »
Hello dobfarm

Thank you very much.

There was definitely a Selby to London and Selby and Hull link to London.

You have a very good point, to try the Maritime Museum archives.

Mark

Hi Mark

Read Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen  ancestor case history Roger Twist.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/whodoyouthinkyouare/past-stories/lawrence-how-we-did-it_3.shtml

You could try asking advice of. (Or a similar person with maritime knowledge to search records who may put you on a right heading to search for John Hood a mariner and your eye for detail may bring a result )

Christopher Ware

Dr Chris Ware is currently senior lecturer in naval history at the Greenwich Maritime Institute, University of Greenwich. Prior to this he was on the curatorial staff of the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, for 22 years. He has written a wide range of naval and maritime topics, including British armoured cruisers and most recently a full biography of the Hon. John Byng. His current research revolves around the wars with Spain in the period 1727–9.

above info

from

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00253359.2013.815991

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 10:14 BST (UK) »
On BBC "W D Y T Y A" there have been a few Celb's, whos ancestors were mariners, where they have found very detailed ship records of their crew on board ships, ports and arrival/destination dates at the National Maritime Museum Greenwich. Most of the coaster boats/ships would stem from London the years John Hood of Selby's life as a mariner and establish who he was or if there was more than one John Hood of Selby - One in the land tax records and maybe another visiting Selby port periodically as a mariner for John Hood the mariner the husband of Jane Hood buried Selby 1803.

Hello All

Thank you dobfarm.

Despite Opt Character Recognition difficulties, we have found in newspapers vessels sailing to and from Hull by a Master HOOD, who according to a 1780 document description and also a Lloyds Register late 1789, there was a "J. Hood" sailing from Hull to London and later to St Petersburg [Russia].

The Hull shipping company of J. Hood, Master of the Bedale were Messrs Burton & Taylor, in Hull (1780) found by dobfarm
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731922.msg5952833#msg5952833

John Hood has appeared in a Vessels List of 1778 (featured first post in this thread) and these same Agents at various places in this other 1778 advert, are also linked to shipping company Burton and Taylor, Hull, about this time.

Burton and Taylor, in Hull, stated in 1778 that vessels from London would be routed up the Aire & Calder Navigation from Haddlesey (now the Selby Canal I believe) to the Port at Selby, before going on to the destination Port of Hull. It appears Selby was most important on the Hull to London route and vice versa.

I'm hoping it is John Hood of Selby, Mariner and possibly also confirming why he moved from Scarborough and had a house at Selby from circa 1781 (confirmed in the earliest Selby Land Tax of 1781).

Later when "J. Hood" was Master on a Ship called Centurion in 1789 his shipping company were Hewson & Co. Hull.

Masters sailing to and from Hull, would also have paid into the Hull Trinity House Pension, so I'm hoping J. Hood will appear in the Hull Trinity House, Muster Rolls (which start 1747) and other records at the Hull History Centre.

Trinity House, Hull, also had their own School from 1785 and they trained them to become Shipping Apprentices. Wondering if this may explain why Maudland TURNER (nee Maudland HOOD) had children baptised in the Hull area 1797 & 1799, perhaps she was minding young George, whilst her Father John HOOD was between London, Selby and Hull.

Hull Trinity House, even had an Adult, Navigation Evening School.

Mark

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 11:02 BST (UK) »
You just want a document saying this J Hood was in Gateshead 1786 and would explain why the one off only baptism of George Hood son of John 1786 Gateshead - being there was no other(s) sibling children baptized in Gateshead parish by a John Hood +/- 10 years of 1786.