Author Topic: can anyone please help. trying to find out dates of my great gran.  (Read 1840 times)

Offline dorothyl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
can anyone please help. trying to find out dates of my great gran.
« on: Tuesday 09 January 18 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone.
i am in great need of some help. i am trying to find out the proper year of my great grans birth. as ive been told its possible she was born 1894.
 ive been reading through my messages to get some clues   and i noticed that someone asked me about my great grans certificates.

apperently i can get her birth certificate from manchester libary because the registra office doesnt do them before 1917. but before i can even get a copy i really need to make sure of my great grans birth year. i always thought her birth year was 1887. but because my grand dad was born 1914 and i was told go back 20years and i get my great grans birth year. which i did, i got 1894. i was also told by a lady called vivian from missing people scotland. she gave me 2 different years. 1888 and 1894. the 1894 comes in with what they call quaters. so my great gran was born 12th march, it came up 1st quater 1894. 2nd quater was after march and was 1888. so it must be her year 1894.

but my prpblem i have now is getting the proper year of when my great gran passed away. because i was sure it was 1967. but since my great gran passed away in hattersly. she was taken to ashton underline hospital where she passed away according to a email i recived from tameside. i know my great gran had a fall behind her front door because my mum told me during my chats with her. but i didnt know if she was taken to hospital and passed way there. i only know what my mum had read out from the telegrame she recieved, she just said your great gran as died. and had to lieave it at that because she was upset. so all these years i never knew anything else.
but before i can get my great grans death certificate. i have to make sure of the year.
i tried to do my sums but i kept getting different years.

i tryed 1894 - 1967  = 73 years old.
then i tried 1894- 1971 = 77 years old
then  i tried 1967-  age 77 = 1890.
and lastly.  i did this. 1971 - 1891 = 80 years old. which is very confusing because if she was born 1894 and passed away 1971 aged 80 how can she have been born 1891 when i was told she was born 1894

unless i have been given the wrong year my great gran was born.
so i was wondering if anyone could please help me. ive been trying this since yesterday. its now driving me daft.

anyway thank you for taking the time to read this and im sorry its a long message. my sons call them essays. lol i would really appericate any help. as i cant get eaithe of my great grans certificates.
thank you again.

so what im thinking. perhaps im wrong in my great grans year when she died

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: can anyone please help. trying to find out dates of my great gran.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 06:14 GMT (UK) »
What was her name including her MAIDEN name so we can find her on the 1901 census, then we will have her age.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 06:44 GMT (UK) »
You have put:
' because my grand dad was born 1914 and i was told go back 20years and i get my great grans birth year.'
Why go back 20 years, was she 20 when he was born, or is someone just guessing?

Some information from other posts:

'My great gran Frances Jones was born 12th of march. I'm not sure if it was 1887 /1890's it's round about that year. My mum said her gran might have been born 1887. And she was unmarried and never married. And only had one child who was Alfred Evan Jones. He was born 27th September 1910. But what I found out he was registered until 1914. So they might think he was actually born in 1914.
According to Manchester register office in England. They said it's possible my grandads mum was embarrassed to register his birth as she had him out of wedlock. Or she could have completely forgotten to register him until 1914. '

Wonder if she has been found in 1939 (Alfred married and died before that)

Do not know if Alfred has been found in 1911

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Could this be her death?

Deaths September quarter 1967 
 Frances Jones age 77 in Ashton  10B  126

Do you know who your great gran lived with?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 07:49 GMT (UK) »

I have not waded through previous post again but I thought it had been established that Alfred was born 1914.  Dorothy was going to send for his birth certificate.  Frances was apparently single and never married

ADDED from other post
Sep qtr 1914 
Alfred E Jones  mothers maiden name  Jones   
Chorlton reg district    8c   1401
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Just adding her son Alfreds marriage in case it helps anyone
Dec qtr 1933 
Jones    Alfred E   
Schulman    Eveline   
Manchester S.    8d   357

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Also from earlier post
If your Alfred Evan Jones is the one in Southern Cemetery also in the grave is William Hopwood Jones born about 1869 and died in 1907

William Hopwood Jones married Ellen Tomlinson in Warrington 5 November 1888

In 1891 the couple are at 42 Brick Street Warrington they have 2 children George aded 1 and Frances 3 weeks. William is a bootmaker.

The daughter Frances was born 11 March 1891 and christened 29 March 1891in Warrington

However to prove this is correct you need to give us some definite information Alfred's birth certificate, marriage certificate and death certificate would be good!

Hi  again,
Thank you for your other  message.
I can't believe  it. My mum was telling me about a relative  called  Alfred william Hopwood Jones.. she called him grandad pop. [/glow] My mum said her gran  Frances Jones  was born 12th of march. But didn't know what year. Maybe  she was out by a day. 
I can't  believe  that  I'm hopefully  on my way to find my grandad  and his mum.

I have  applied  for  my grandparents marriage certificate at the registra office in Manchester.  I'm just waiting for it to arrive.  I don't  know where  abouts my grandad was born.  As there is no trace of him in wales.  My mum said he was born Rhos on sea.  But has no idea where. 
I can't ask my mum. Because I lost her in march  this year. 
I would really like to finish off what I started for her even though she isn't  here. I don't  want to give up.
Thank you again for your help.I do really appreciate it.
Thank you

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 09:22 GMT (UK) »

I have not waded through previous post again but I thought it had been established that Alfred was born 1914.  Dorothy was going to send for his birth certificate.  Frances was apparently single and never married

ADDED from other post
Sep qtr 1914 
Alfred E Jones  mothers maiden name  Jones   
Chorlton reg district    8c   1401

AND we know from the GRO facility that Alfred E Jones registered September quarter 1914 = Alfred Evan Jones.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY