Author Topic: screen flashng on laptop  (Read 976 times)

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
screen flashng on laptop
« on: Tuesday 09 January 18 07:50 GMT (UK) »
few times a hour my screen flashes on off for a split second on my laptop is someone hacking into my laptop ? any help apreiated

Online Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: screen flashng on laptop
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Sounds more like a fault is developing but you might be better asking the mods. to move this thread into the Technical Help section.(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: Done :)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

First off, please ensure that everything you need is backed up and off the laptop.

Make at least 2x, separate, copies of the data you consider important.

How old is the laptop?
If you tap the case, does it still flash?
[ take the backups before trying this  :) ]
Any other symptoms?

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 13:50 GMT (UK) »
only abt couple years old plus it runs bit slow

Offline Lesleyann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Mine does this.  It's a loose plug going into the laptop from the mains lead. If I balance my glasses case under it it's all right.

Lesleyann

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 14:30 GMT (UK) »
If you haven't already done so, consider signing up with "Dropbox" which was free when I signed up and I hope still is. You get 2Gb of online file storage. You then have an 'off-site" backup.

The flashing screen does sound like a loose connection somewhere. If giggling the lead reproduces the fault, then do consider getting a local tech outfit to look at it. Loose connections tend to get looser and then fail, usually at the most inconvenient of moments.

If you can't reproduce the fault, you might try removing the battery altogether for a moment and then re-starting the laptop once you've reinstalled it.

Check your warranty expiry date. If it's not too late, register the problem with your supplier. They may not honour any warranty commitment after the expiry date even if reported beforehand.

Malcolm
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 16:10 GMT (UK) »
many thanks for responses

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Do you notice any other glitches at the same time, such as popping noises on a radio? If so, the source may lie outside. Heavy machinery nearby, such as a lift motor, is a common cause.

If you have an external monitor, say from a desktop PC, try plugging it into the laptop. Note that most TVs from the last decade can be used as monitors, but you will have to find a cable.

By default, you are likely to get "clone" displays, at a resolution both displays can cope with. You can tweak this if you like, but it is a lot more important to ensure your data is safe.

If only the laptop display flashes, that is the likely problem area. Should that fail completely, you could carry on with just the external monitor,

If both flash, the fault is more likely to be in the system board or power system, and things get more expensive.

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.