Author Topic: Looking for Susannah STEPHENS in Maker  (Read 1841 times)

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Susannah STEPHENS in Maker
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 12:09 GMT (UK) »
FamilySearch has an image of the parish register entry for 1821 which you can check for yourself.  You  need to register for an account and log in to see it.  I found it by browsing the images for Cornwall Parish Registers.  You then need to find St Clement, choose the marriage register for the years 1804-1823 and find image 25.

The Banns are on image 45 of the Banns Register.

There is no indication of the marital status of either Richard or Catherine (although I noticed a previous entry stating that that groom was a widower).

Maybe you need to consider whether Susanna was the daughter of Richard by a previous wife or a child of Catherine's before her marriage to Richard.

Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 20:33 GMT (UK) »
FamilySearch has an image of the parish register entry for 1821 which you can check for yourself.  You  need to register for an account and log in to see it.  I found it by browsing the images for Cornwall Parish Registers.  You then need to find St Clement, choose the marriage register for the years 1804-1823 and find image 25.

The Banns are on image 45 of the Banns Register.

There is no indication of the marital status of either Richard or Catherine (although I noticed a previous entry stating that that groom was a widower).

Maybe you need to consider whether Susanna was the daughter of Richard by a previous wife or a child of Catherine's before her marriage to Richard.

Barbara

Great I will look at that. I had been looking for previous marriages for him but was struggling to find anything. Or at least I found lots but hard to tell who could be a possibility. I still couldn't find a Susannah/Susanna with a father called Richard in Maker. I keep forgetting to check Family Search and have recently been looking at the Cornwall OPC so will have another look.
Thanks for your help.
Phillips: Gloucestershire, Kent, Isle of Wight, Co Durham
Marsh (me): Dorset, Middlesex
Marsh (husband): Lancashire
Stephens: Devon, Cornwall
Gravill: Lincolnshire, East Riding (Hull), Dundee, NZ
Leighton: Forfarshire (mainly Dundee), Crete, NZ
Ferrier: Dundee

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Ok. The Rame peninsula was part of Devon in the early 1800s. Things didn’t change until the River Tamar was made the boundary between the two counties.

Look at the  1814 marriage in Stoke Damerel.
Richard Stephens cooper marries Catherine McIntire.

Now switch to Maker baptisms.

1816 Susannah Richards baptised to Richard Richards cooper and Susannah
1818 John Stephens baptised to Richard Stephens and Catherine

I think this is your Susannah Richard and Catherine with the wrong surname. Maker was a very busy parish at that time and it’s taking me ages to transcribe the records to put in the OPC database. I have only got to 1800.

Many people from the Rame peninsula married at Stoke Damerel so the marriage is very feasible.

It looks as though Catherine’s father was Royal Navy living on the Rame peninsula. That might have influenced Richards choice to join the coastguard.
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 January 18 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Ok. The Rame peninsula was part of Devon in the early 1800s. Things didn’t change until the River Tamar was made the boundary between the two counties.

Look at the  1814 marriage in Stoke Damerel.
Richard Stephens cooper marries Catherine McIntire.

Now switch to Maker baptisms.

1816 Susannah Richards baptised to Richard Richards cooper and Susannah
1818 John Stephens baptised to Richard Stephens and Catherine

I think this is your Susannah Richard and Catherine with the wrong surname. Maker was a very busy parish at that time and it’s taking me ages to transcribe the records to put in the OPC database. I have only got to 1800.

Many people from the Rame peninsula married at Stoke Damerel so the marriage is very feasible.

It looks as though Catherine’s father was Royal Navy living on the Rame peninsula. That might have influenced Richards choice to join the coastguard.

That's interesting. I will have a look and see what I can find. I have finally gone through all his ADM 175 records and all the children I have seem to match. Emma is a little iffy though I still think she is likely. Census has her as born in Plymouth and baptism shows her baptised in Talland and resident in Polperro in November 1821. Richard joined the Coastguard in July 1821 in Polperro and it does show he was in Plymouth prior to that but not sure how long and where.
Phillips: Gloucestershire, Kent, Isle of Wight, Co Durham
Marsh (me): Dorset, Middlesex
Marsh (husband): Lancashire
Stephens: Devon, Cornwall
Gravill: Lincolnshire, East Riding (Hull), Dundee, NZ
Leighton: Forfarshire (mainly Dundee), Crete, NZ
Ferrier: Dundee