Author Topic: Was our house requisitioned in WW1 or WW2  (Read 371 times)

Offline Jules1066

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Was our house requisitioned in WW1 or WW2
« on: Tuesday 09 January 18 10:27 GMT (UK) »

How do I find out if a house was requisitioned by the Admiralty or Army in WW2 (or maybe even WW1).

It faces the seafront and we've found what looks like big fuel tanks in the grounds.

Houses located in Peacehaven, East Sussex

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Was our house requisitioned in WW1 or WW2
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,

If you are on the seaward side of the coast rd at the Newhaven end. Then it could be the site of the old garage that was demolished some years ago. It was right at the end near the bend.

Not sure when all the housing went up along there. But a good proportion of it is post war.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Was our house requisitioned in WW1 or WW2
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 12:16 GMT (UK) »
The first thing to determine is when was your house built. As far as I know the town of Peacehaven wasn't there in WW1 but was mainly built for  retiring World War I veterans in order for them to escape and recover from the effects of the war. Most of the original houses were often very temporary affairs. It was quite late before the town as it stands now was established, so I doubt if your house was requisitioned.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk