Author Topic: Glasgow searching - c. 1950s  (Read 904 times)

Offline Kingking

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Glasgow searching - c. 1950s
« on: Tuesday 09 January 18 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

I'm attempting to trace the ancestors of my estranged paternal family - I know there are rules about posting information about living people so won't. I'm not willing to contact them due to a history of abuse, but have a pull to find out where I come from.

I have very basic information to go on, but know that since at least the 1940s the family was based in Glasgow, and for at least 3 generations before that within Scotland. Though I was told as a child our ancestors were Scottish as far back as the 1500s.

I have names for 2 generations but no specific birth/death/marriage dates.

What I'm most struggling is to find access to any Scottish Records post 1910. I've tried Ancestry, NRS, Archives.com. I've even searched historic newspapers, recent death announcements and various online forums with no luck.

I'm not particularly new at this - I've traced the other side of the family back to the early 1700s.

Is this a lost cause? Any help would be fantastic! TIA

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow searching - c. 1950s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Scotlands People website will you information post 1910, including BMD, 1911 census and valuation rolls to 1935 etc Its a low cost site pay as you go.
Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi , welcome to RC  :) ,

Scotlandspeople has limits to what can be downloaded for BMD certificates -
Births - 100 years
Marriages - 75 years
Deaths - 50 years
However the indexes can searched for free once you've registered , it's also possible to search for deaths after 1973 using the mother's maiden surname.

Any recent certificates(as covered by the limits) would have to be ordered.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 14:29 GMT (UK) »
If you live close enough to visit there are Scotland's people centred in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Kilmarnock.  For £15 you can view as many certificates as you have time to without the same time restrictions as the website.  For the older ones you can print out copies.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 15:48 GMT (UK) »
If you are searching for snippets of information post 1910, one avenue you could go down is to try a google: "Ancestry - Glasgow Electoral Registers".       These records often only give the head of the house and what address he or she was living at.       But they go up to the early 1960's, and sometimes they do tell you names of other people living at the same address.    You can then try to investigate whether the other people were sons, or daughters etc.     

I am already a member of Ancestry, and I find the easiest way to reach the relevant search page  is to try the google.      Then, all you do is type in the name of the person you are searching for, plus a date.    However, if you are looking for a John Smith, this brings up countless possibilities, but if the name you are searching for is more uncommon than that, then you have a reasonable chance of seeing where they were living, and possibly even who was living with them, just by using these registers.      They sometimes also tell you what a person was working at.     

...The registers helped me find my grandfather between the years 1926 and 1940.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 17:41 GMT (UK) »
What I'm most struggling is to find access to any Scottish Records post 1910. I've tried Ancestry, NRS, Archives.com.
See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

Is this a lost cause?
Not at all. It's just that the more recent records, that may be of living people, are not available to view online.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.