Author Topic: William & Ann Jones Bancog, Capel Garmon and Dolwyddelan  (Read 3752 times)

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William & Ann Jones Bancog, Capel Garmon and Dolwyddelan
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 January 18 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Mabel I had not seen this obituary. The interesting sentence to me is "Treuliodd flynyddoedd cyntaf ei oes yn Bancog, Capel Garmon." Am I interpreting this correctly as his first years were spent at Bancog rather than early years? This could almost imply that he was born at Bancog.
I took the plunge last week and sent off for Clwyd FHS booklets for Capel Garmon Parish Records now waiting for them to arrive.

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 January 18 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes - first years

Have found something more useful (Bancog mis-read by the OCR, so didn;t come up in my original search)

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4302064/4302069/52/

Born in Bancog, Trybrith Uchaf, 29 March 1789, son of the late Humphrey. After marrying he moved to a cottage/smallholding nearby, moving into Bancog when his father died. His wife Anne is the daughter of William Jones  [yes another one, sorry!] Plas-y-Rhos.

The article continues with his work at Siloam.  He moved from Capel Garmon to Blaenau, Dolyddelen, to a smallholding called Coetmawr.  Every Sabbath he would walk from there to the chapel without a stick, much to the surprise of all

He had 6 daughters, some still alive, including Mrs Williams, Benar View, Dolyddelen, and 4 sons including William Jones, Bancog, who died recently. His brother was the late Rev John Jones, Green, nr Denbigh, whose son is the Rev D. Lloyd Jones, currently in Patagonia. Another brother preaches for the Independents and lives in Newtown. One brother, Pugh Jones, emigrated to America over 60 yrs ago and settled near Utica.

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 January 18 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Wow Mabel you certainly have come up with some golden nuggets of information with that newspaper article. It ties up a number of clues I had, but could not join the dots. Once the parish records arrive I should hopefully be able to go a lot further back. I am just surprised that William left it until his third son Humphrey to be named after his father it is usually the first unless there was one born previously but died young.
I'll have to ask you to do a detective job on finding my main paternal line beyond the ubiquitous John Jones. ;D

Many many thanks.

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland