Author Topic: Walker Brothers WW1  (Read 898 times)

Offline jendoyle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walker Brothers WW1
« on: Tuesday 09 January 18 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

My great grandfather was Henry John Walker. For reference he was a sargeant in the 6th Battalion of the Wiltshire reg, no 8037. He died in WW1 and we have found him on the Thiepval memorial in France.

However, Henry was one of 12- possibly 13 children born to Henry and Harriet Walker of Watchfield. One of those children was Elijah Walker, also served in the armed forces in WW1. So far I have managed to find out Elijah served in the Royal Field Artillary of the British army- he has surviving papers in the W0363 and I know that he survived WW1 as he was a witness to his sister's marriage in 1924 but after that I can't seem to find any trace of him.

Would anyone have come across Elijah Walker in their own research and be willing to share information? I would love to know what happened to him.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
regards,
Jen

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Walker Brothers WW1
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to Rootschat.  :)

Do you know when Elijah was born?
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 11:54 GMT (UK) »
If he is the Faringdon (includes Watchfield) registered birth Q4 1896 then a quick look at FreeBMD finds a marriage to Edith Stratton also Faringdon in Q2 1921 and 3 children thereafter in the Faringdon district 1922-26.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline jendoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi MaxD

Elijah was born November 1896, baptised on March 1897. I found it listed in the Shrivenham registers with (priv) beside it. I never thought to look towards Faringdon- will follow that up.

Many thanks for your help!

Jen

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 12:28 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this is him? He appears to be in Abingdon RD on the 1939 register.

Robert Elijan(looks like Elijah on the image) Walker

Birth Date:   15 Nov 1896
Death:   Sep 1979
New Forest Hampshire

Volume:   20
Page:   0291

Maureen

Offline jendoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maureen,
I have not seen Elijah listed with Robert in his name anywhere else but the dates of birth are the same so I will follow it up and see if there is a connection that fits with any earlier data that I have,

Many thanks,
Jen

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 January 18 16:01 GMT (UK) »
A little more for your Walker files:
On the 7th July 1916, the day his death is presumed to have occurred, Great Grandfather Henry's battalion of the Wiltshires was engaged in what became known as the Battle of Albert, one of the early phases of the Battle of the Somme.  His battalion were in a line along the La Boisselle to Contalmaison road (see trench map and present day map at this link):
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15&lat=50.0248&lon=2.7141&layers=101464804&right=BingHyb
They were attacked from the right and from the north by snipers and artillery fire.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline jendoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 January 18 10:16 GMT (UK) »
A little more for your Walker files:
On the 7th July 1916, the day his death is presumed to have occurred, Great Grandfather Henry's battalion of the Wiltshires was engaged in what became known as the Battle of Albert, one of the early phases of the Battle of the Somme.  His battalion were in a line along the La Boisselle to Contalmaison road (see trench map and present day map at this link):
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15&lat=50.0248&lon=2.7141&layers=101464804&right=BingHyb
They were attacked from the right and from the north by snipers and artillery fire.

MaxD,
Thank you so much for that- we didn't have that information before, this is great! Could you possibly direct me to where I might find some photographs of my great grandfathers regiment? We have no photographs of him, so any help at all would be much appreciated.

Jen

MaxD

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 January 18 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Search Google images with "6th Battalion Wiltshire Regiment" but be careful to check the photo titles as you look at each one. 

http://www.thewardrobe.org.uk/research/the-collection/search/category:9/regiment:Wilt/unit:Wiltshire+Regiment%2C+6th+%5BService%5D+Bn

The above link is the search results for images of 6th Battalion at the regimental museum, they can be purchased.
MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk