Author Topic: Nixey & Coleclough, and Nixey, Coleclough & Baxter Ltd  (Read 694 times)

Offline Jon Nixey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Nixey & Coleclough, and Nixey, Coleclough & Baxter Ltd
« on: Tuesday 09 January 18 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,

I'm currently writing up a webpage on my great great grandfather's nephew, Edward Nixey (1846-1898) who was 3 times Mayor of Hartlepool. In particular, I'm trying to find out which public houses he was associated with in the Durham area between 1880 and 1895, either under the firm of Nixey & Coleclough (1880-1890) or as Nixey, Coleclough & Baxter (1890-1895). So far I have found reference to 16 such properties, but there were considerably more. I have found mention of 60 public houses on one source, and 80 on another, so I don't know which of these is the most accurate. I would deeply appreciate any help anyone can give in filling out this list. Sincerest thanks, Jon
The 16 I have found so far through the British Newspaper Archive are:
Beehive Inn, Lumley-street, Hartlepool
Black Bull Hotel, High-street, Hartlepool
Bradford Hotel, Brougham-street, Middlesbrough
Cambrian Hotel, Portrack-lane, Stockton-on-Tees
Coach & Horses, Commercial-street, Stockton-on-Tees
Durham Hotel, Durham-street, Hartlepool
Essex Hotel, High-street, Hartlepool
Hartlepool Hotel, Duke-street, Hartlepool
Lifeboat Inn, Dock-street, West Hartlepool
Lord Raglan Hotel, Corporation-road, Middlesbrough
Queen Hotel, Mainsforth-terrace, West Hartlepool
Royal Albert Hotel, Lyon-street, West Hartlepool
Royal William Hotel, Garbutt-street, Stockton-on-Tees
Vane Arms Hotel, Cleveland-street, Hartlepool
Washbourne Hotel, Fenny-street, Stockton-on-Tees
Westbourne Hotel, Frederick-street, Stockton-on-Tees

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nixey & Coleclough, and Nixey, Coleclough & Baxter Ltd
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, welcome to RootsChat  :)

Have you thought of contacting Teesside Archives, who might have listings of licensed premises in Hartlepool and surrounding areas?

https://www.middlesbrough.gov.uk/leisure-events-libraries-and-hubs/teesside-archives

Offline Jon Nixey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks very much for the suggestion, I'll definitely follow up on that. Cheers! I'm relatively new to researching in this area, so your suggestion is deeply appreciated.

Kindest regards, Jon

Offline hpool

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 10:29 GMT (UK) »
there is a book in hartlepool central hub library reference department by the name of "the lion roars and the monkey bites". it gives the history of public houses in hartlepool and west hartlepool.

durham hotel, durham street, hartlepool: originally owned by william stones in 1866 - brewer  nixey and coleclough in 1881 - j w cameron in 1895.

Offline hpool

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 10:58 GMT (UK) »
northern daily mail
west hartlepool
20 august 1898

nixey
at brunswick house, hartlepool, on the 19th inst., counciller edward nixey, j.p., c.c., in his 53rd year. interment will take place at hartlepool cemetery on tuesday, the 23rd inst. cortege to leave for service at holy trinity church, at 1-45pm. friends please accept this (the only) intimation.

Offline Jon Nixey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi hpool,

Thanks for your time and help, it's appreciated. I have a ton of newspaper clippings re Nixey & Coleclough and of Nixey Coleclough & Baxter between 1877 and 1894 which bit by bit I'm adding to my webpage detailing the life of Edward Nixey. I know there was an extremely long article re his funeral in the Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail but sadly this isn't available on the British Newspaper Archive. Currently I'm trying to pin down as many pubs as I can that they were associated with. I've contacted Teesdale Archives in the hope they may be able to help as well. Thanks again, Jon