Author Topic: A Pub Quiz. The Croft Inn/Hotel, Springside, Dreghorn P.Who built it and when?  (Read 1333 times)

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The story starts with the entry for Springside in Wikipedia. This claims that the Croft Inn was built by "the Bankhead Family from N Ireland in the 17th cent to cater for the stagecoach routes from Kilmarnock to Irvine....." This has bemused me for years as in all the decades of researching my Bankhead ancestors I have never come across the merest suggestion of any such thing. The only source quoted for the story is an article published by a local women's group, which I have so far failed to find a copy of. Recently I decided to try and resolve the mystery. The inn is mentioned in the Canmore index but has merely "period unassigned" as a description. Nor does it feature in "Buildings of Scotland , Ayrshire and Arran" under the very brief entry for Springside

The earliest official reference I have found is the 1841 census, where a John Wallace , Spirit Dealer, is one of the inhabitants. He is listed in the 1851-1852 PO directory for Dreghorn. The Inn is clearly identified in the 1860 1st edition 6" OS maps for Ayrshire Vol 24 (OS1/3/24/12). The accompanying surveyors notes record "Janet M Auld, Principal Proprieter and James Auld , farmer ...... A good substantially built Public House with stabling attached" The 1855 Valuation Roll shows "Widow Janet Mitchell or Auld" in residence

So, armed with these details , it was off into the RAC searchable index to Sasines and Deeds in Register House. The very first identifiable mention of the actual building is on Jan 8, 1873 (Ayr 2835) "Alexander Smith, Innkeeper, Croft inn, Parish of Dreghorn, and his wife Agnes Millar or Smith". A later bond of Dec 1887 (Ayr 4247) featuring Alexander, defines things more precisely "Subjects known as the CROFT INN, consisting of that Park called CROFT PARK extending to 1 acre 25 falls , with Houses etc thereon, being part of the 40s land of KIRKLAND of DREGHORN"

The 1 acre 25 falls land is referred to in Ayr 560 of May 27 1869 as "sometime possessed by John Auld of Bankhead". Ayr 2167 of May 31 1858 refers to Janet Mitchell , relict of John Auld and their son Ninian Auld. No mention of an Inn. There is a sasine of May 7 1856 (Ayr 297) giving details of numerous Auld family members (including one who has emigrated to Geelong, Australia).

John Auld and Janet Mitchell were seized , Aug 2 1828 (Ayr 4626), "in that suit of Farm Houses and Yards with the Croft Park in front thereof, being part of the 40s land of KIRKLAND of DREGHORN and extending to 1 acre 1 rood and 20 falls" by William Henry Ralston of Warrickhill ... and Agnes Ralston his spouse". No mention of an Inn.

Agnes Ralston and William Henry Ralston were seized on Feb 27 1818 "in the 10s land of Kirkland of Dreghorn which is part of the 40s land of Kirkland Dreghorn ; and that room or mailing in the Kirkland aforesaid commonly called Duntobar or Springhill. par Dreghorn" by William Fulton , Shipmaster , Irvine. No mention of an Inn

And finally

Ayr 10,424. Mar 2 1812. " Thomas & William Fulton, sons of John Fulton, late Shipmaster, Irvine, Seized Feb 29 1812 - in the 10s land of Kirkland of Dreghorn, being part of the 40s land of Kirkland Dreghorn and Room or Mailing in the Kirkland aforesaid , par Dreghorn ;- on Disp by James Fairie, Merchant , Greenock and John Auld , Shipmaster , Irvine"

Various earlier sasines indicate that this John Auld acquired this and several other parcels of land in Dreghorn parish from the Eglinton estate.

Nowhere in any of this is the Croft Inn mentioned prior to the 1841 census. So, can anyone refer me to an authorative document source on when the Croft Inn was actually built ??

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: A Pub Quiz. The Croft Inn/Hotel, Springside, Dreghorn P.Who built it and when?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 14:11 GMT (UK) »
1834 has one reference to it here www.ayrshireroots.co.uk/Towns/Dreghorn/Dreghorn%20Baptism%20Records.htm

1834 18th May, Hugh McFADYEAN and Sarah DOWNIE at Croft Inn had a lawful daughter born 6th May and baptized 18th May named Margaret.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: A Pub Quiz. The Croft Inn/Hotel, Springside, Dreghorn P.Who built it and when?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked through these indexes to see whether anything shows? https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/search/results?st=horse%20tax

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica

Yes I have searched Scotland's Places - that is where I found the OS info. I also found several births /deaths in the British Newspaper online Archive (an Ardrossan paper if memory serves ) but nothing that gets me to the origin of the pub, which I believe has long since shut and may now be offices. If it was really as old as claimed, I think some sort of listing would have taken place

Regards

Matt