Author Topic: Finding Marriage Cert for an index entry?  (Read 635 times)

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding Marriage Cert for an index entry?
« on: Tuesday 09 January 18 13:50 GMT (UK) »
On Ancestry I have found some trees relevant to my ancestors.

These trees include a very definite marriage of William Cross to May Ann Andrews on May 24, 1829, in Kensington, but are always uncited.

A visit to the computers in my local library revealed that this data comes from an index.

Now, Ancestry has VERY good coverage of parish records for London. Is there a way to locate the  original certificate?

The "obvious" search in Ancestry gives me nothing, and the index doesn't give me a parish name (which would allow me to simply eyeball the relevant register).

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Marriage Cert for an index entry?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 13:52 GMT (UK) »
(is there a way to list and hence search all parishes in Kensington?)

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Firstly you won't get a certificate because the marriage is before July 1837 when civil registration started, so all you will get is the original parish register image with less information than post 1837.

I suspect the marriage could well be at Kensington St Mary Abbots because Ancestry only has images to 1819 but the parish registers start in 1539 according to Familysearch Wiki.  If you want to browse those parish which Ancestry has images for go to - https://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1623 - select Kensington and Chelsea from the Borough under "Browse this collection" on the right side of the page and look through the parishes available.  Selecting the parish name will tell you the years that Ancestry has.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Firstly you won't get a certificate because the marriage is before July 1837 when civil registration started, so all you will get is the original parish register image with less information than post 1837.
Sorry, yes, understood. I was using "certificate" sloppily.

I suspect the marriage could well be at Kensington St Mary Abbots because Ancestry only has images to 1819 but the parish registers start in 1539 according to Familysearch Wiki.  If you want to browse those parish which Ancestry has images for go to - https://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1623 - select Kensington and Chelsea from the Borough under "Browse this collection" on the right side of the page and look through the parishes available.  Selecting the parish name will tell you the years that Ancestry has.

Not looking good for an 1824 marriage image  :(

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I think the registers for St Mary Abbots are still held at the Church , if this page is up to date :

https://www.rbkc.gov.uk/libraries/local-studies-and-archives/council-archives-family-history-and-building-history

There is a live link to the Church website under Family History - their charges seem quite high !
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 14:58 GMT (UK) »
According to TNA the BT's for St Mary Abbotts are held at LMA - however, there is no indication as to coverage.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY