Author Topic: 70 Woodfield Street, Morriston, Swansea: 1891 census?  (Read 1982 times)

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
70 Woodfield Street, Morriston, Swansea: 1891 census?
« on: Tuesday 09 January 18 15:18 GMT (UK) »
I have found a THOMAS family at 70 Woodfield Street, Morriston, Swansea, in the 1881 census  and again in the 1901 census, albeit that John Sylvanus (head, 1881) dies, 16 Aug 1890 and was buried at Mynyddbach Chapel on 19/08/90; with Ann his wife being listed as Head & Widow in the 1901 census.

What is causing me some grief is that whilst I would have expected to find evidence of the THOMAS family being at the same address on the 1891 census, however I cannot find them! 

I can not work out how to drill down to Woodfield Street (with Ancestry), although I have had modest success with 'Find my Past' finding a short section (from memory the 40's to low 60's) somewhat short of No. 70!   In fact I can not find any immediately neighbouring residents on the 1891 census.

Can any readers with greater expertise, explain how to drill down to individual streets when using Ancestry, or even find the sheet in question and point me in the right direction.
  • As an aside and not part of the current request for help, if I have done my research correctly & successfully, Ann Thomas is (or should be) the first daughter of Elizabeth & John Humphrey carpenter & joiner (1851) & builder (1871), the builder of Morriston Tabernacle, and with local knowledge No. 70 could even be the same building as was standing there in the late 1800's.
JohnG_Swansea
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: 70 Woodfield Street, Morriston, Swansea: 1891 census?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 15:27 GMT (UK) »
From what I've read on line re Ancestry;   "Ancestry didn't transcribe census addresses therefore you can't search on address. This doesn't apply to 1911 when they had learned the error of their ways nor to 1881 which isn't Ancestry's transcription."

I think the only way you might have any luck would be to find the the Enumerator's book for the area you want and then click through until you find the street you are looking for.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 15:31 GMT (UK) »
As John was dead by 1891, can you give us all the details for his wife ie place and date of birth to hlep find her. Also any children with their DOBs.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Woodfield St appears to be unnumbered as far as I can see in 1891 :-\  (on F M P)

I think your family with mother Ann b 1849    b Morriston  may be living at RG12  Piece 4473 Folio 32  Page  57  RG12 Piece 4473 Folio 32 Page    57

Kay

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi JohnG, - your query rang bells for me, as I remember trying to do the same thing when trying to pin down my elusive Wilson Grandfather in Swansea in 1891 some years ago now:

ww.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=690856.msg5347266#msg5347266
'Is it possible to check the 1891 Census for Swansea by address'?

I hope that Link works! I seem to recall that you advised me how to try... but sadly I never found him:-( (He gave his Address on his Marriage Cert in 1893 as 'Lower Oxford Street, Swansea', - but was no where to be found there in 1891).

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Woodfield St appears to be unnumbered as far as I can see in 1891 :-\  (on F M P)

I think your family with mother Ann b 1849    b Morriston  may be living at RG12  Piece 4473 Folio 32  Page  57

This is the ref.  1881 c RG11; Piece: 5354; Folio: 9; Page: 16
70 Woodfield St
John Syl THOMAS, Ann, Elizabeth, Hannah, John Humphrey, Thomas Sydney & Daniel

Ann 42
Sidney 17
Lizzie 16
Hannah 14
Humphrey 12
Daniel 10
All born Morrison Glamorganshire

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Apologies - Ladyhawk is right - Looked up them both and quoted the wrong one  :-\

Kay

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 04:42 GMT (UK) »
As John was dead by 1891, can you give us all the details for his wife ie place and date of birth to hlep find her. Also any children with their DOBs.
  • 1881 census : RG11_5354 : 70 Woodfield Street, Morriston, Swansea
    John <unclear> but known to be Sylvanus, THOMAS, Head, Marr, Age 33, dob: 1847±, Occ: Overseer Poor <unclear> Collector, Pob: <unclear> Carmarthenshire
    Ann Thomas Wife, Marr, Age 32, Dob: 1848±, Pob: Llangyfelach, although shown on this page as Morriston;  Occ: Milliner,
    Elizabeth Ditto, dau, Age 6??, Dob: 1876±, Occ: Scholar, Pob: Morriston
    Hannah ditto, dau, Age 4, Dob: 1878±, Occ: Scholar, Pob: Morriston
    John Humphrey ditto, son, age 2(4?), Dob 1879±, Occ: Scholar, Pob: Morriston
      ..  ..  plus a 20 y. o. servant Rebecca Jones, a 16 y.o. servant Jannett Evans & 2 infants: Thomas <unclear> <no family name> Age obliterated & Daniel 4 Months old, no family name.

1901 census : GLARG13_5071_5072-0268 : 70 Woodfield Street, Morriston, Swansea.
    Ann Thomas Head, Widow, Age 51, Dob 1848±, Pob Llangyfelach, although shown on this page as Morriston;  Occ: Milliner,
    Hannah ditto, Dau, single, Age 24, Dob 1878±, Pob; Morriston, Occ: Milliner
    John Humphrey ditto, son, single, Age 22, Dob 1879±, Pob Morriston, Occ Clerk in Copper Works
      ..  ..  plus a 22 y. o. servant Sarah Thomas.
I trust this will enable progress to be made in identifying this family

JohnG, Swansea.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 04:56 GMT (UK) »

I think your family with mother Ann b 1849    b Morriston  may be living at RG12  Piece 4473 Folio 32  Page  57

This is the ref.  1881 c RG11; Piece: 5354; Folio: 9; Page: 16
70 Woodfield St
John Syl THOMAS, Ann, Elizabeth, Hannah, John Humphrey, Thomas Sydney & Daniel

Ann 42
Sidney 17
Lizzie 16
Hannah 14
Humphrey 12
Daniel 10
All born Morrison Glamorganshire
Thank you for the 1891 census information, it would be exceedingly helpful if you could give the "GLA RG12" number from the apron, usually across the bottom of the image.

Many thanks, JohnG_Swansea.