Author Topic: Sheffield or Rotherham Newspapers for an Obituary  (Read 720 times)

Offline Annette128

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Sheffield or Rotherham Newspapers for an Obituary
« on: Tuesday 09 January 18 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone, I am trying to find the burial place for Harriet Hannah Wright nee Nicholson born 1888 in Wakefield Yorkshire.   I know she died in Scarborough on 5 August 1970  at the Hospital Scarborough Yorkshire.   She was the  widow of John Wright, second husband, first husband was Alfred Marshall who died in First World War the informant Ida Taylor daughter of 47 Nidderdale Road Rotherham.

I have tried Scarborough Cemeteries and also Castleford where she was from.  I was wondering if there is an obituary in one of the Sheffield newspapers as her daughter lived in Rotherham Yorkshire. This is a loose end to tie up, but would be greatful if anyone could help.  Thank you. 

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Sheffield or Rotherham Newspapers for an Obituary
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 January 18 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried Scarborough crematorium as their actual records of cremations  (Not book of remembrance) as by 1970 most (not all) deaths were starting to become more the normal or easier be cremated  ???
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Annette128

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 January 18 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your email.  I did check with the actual cemetery and crem in Scarborough and they found no burial/crem for her.  I am a bit stuck as now asking Sheffield Bereavement Services they referred me to the Archives in Sheffield. I think there may be a fee payable.  Thank you again for your suggestions. 

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 January 18 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette128,

Harriet Hannah would be 82 years old 1970 born 1888, do you know any more info on her, she could have been on holiday or OAP coach day trip to the seaside in Scarborough from South Yorkshire or Castleford, or in hospital but her home residency of a village/town near Scarborough or Castleford and buried in that village/town. Have you tried ancestry trees or other FH trees websites to see if other families have recorded her life and death/burial/crem.

Newspapers for Sheffield/Rotherham area are held at Sheffield library, so they may do a free look up on a known death date (plus a couple of weeks in newspaper deaths for burial/crem date)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth