Author Topic: John Mitchell b c 1811 in Banffshire.  (Read 1250 times)

Offline lynne99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Mitchell b c 1811 in Banffshire.
« on: Tuesday 09 January 18 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I very much hope you can help me.  My great x 2 Grandfather John Mitchell was married in Liverpool in 1838 to Esther Bradshaw.  John was about 25 and Esther 19.  She was born and bred in Liverpool, but where John came from was a mystery.  On the marriage certificate his father was given as Alexander Mitchell a wood forester.   In the 1841 census (in Liverpool) it is at the bottom of the page and it says either I or S , but not born in county.  John was a gardener and to cut a long story short, I found his death , from tetanus , in 1845.  I eventually found his grave at All Saints , Childwall, near where they lived.  I presume, that because he died from a work accident, his employer paid for a stone.  This stone says "He was a proud native of Banffshire"".   I would now like to trace where in Banffshire he came from and  who his mother and any siblings were.  would there be any one who could help, please.  Where did Alexander do his Wood foresting?

I thought I had solved it one with John Mitchell b 1812 Mortlach; Alexander and Annie Stuart, but then I think they have their John whith them in 1841 census.  So back to the start.  I can't find any other likely families. ???
Thanks for your help  Lynne
Fletcher, Scotland pre 1850s Liverpool post 1850s
Manchester, Bickerstaffe and later Liverpool
Mitchell, Liverpool
Harrison and Howard all in  Liverpool, Gascoyne St area

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: John Mitchell b c 1811 in Banffshire.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 16:21 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 census says
"Name   John Mitchell
Age   30
Estimated Birth Year   abt 1811
Gender   Male
Where born   Ireland
Civil parish   Toxteth Park
Hundred   Liverpool"

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Not sure where they would have gotten this info, as you say his entry on the census does not say anything readable.

Scotlands People only has 1 John Mitchell with father Alexander between 1810 and 1815 in Banffshire baptised
Parents Alexander  MITCHELL & Margt . HORN
Male
28/12/1810
Cabrach

This place now seems to have moved over to Morayshire.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Cabrach
This place now seems to have moved over to Morayshire.
No.

The parish of Cabrach belongs partly to the County of Aberdeen, aka Aberdeenshire, and partly to the county of Banff, aka Banffshire.

When local government was reorganised in 1975, Cabrach was one of the parishes included in the new District of Moray. This is **not** the same as Morayshire, which is the old County of Moray.

(Unfortunately, the districts created at the same time and named Banff and Buchan, Gordon and Kincardine and Deeside were subsequently (in 1995) amalgamated and given the name of Aberdeenshire, which has the potential to create confusion because the pre-1975 Aberdeenshire is not the same as post-1995 Aberdeenshire.)

So to summarise
The historic County of Moray, aka Morayshire, is the pre-1975 county
Moray is the post-1975 district. It includes most of Morayshire and about two-thirds of Banffshire.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lynne99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Larkspur and Forfarian.  The 1841 census original is on the bottom and left corner of a page and the letter is illegible, it could be an I or an S .  I think people have surmised it was Ireland because of the surname.  His grave stone definitely says Banffshire, which might be a bit out but definitely Scotland.  I will check Alexander and Margaret Horn, sure I've done it before but will do again, .
I will try and understand the new counties.  Thanks Lynne
Mitchell, Liverpool

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Larkspur and Forfarian.  The 1841 census original is on the bottom and left corner of a page and the letter is illegible, it could be an I or an S .
I had a look at it too and it is definitely indecipherable.   

I will try and understand the new counties.  Thanks Lynne
Good luck :) As far as family history is concerned, 'they' have created a dogs' breakfast by twice reorganising local government in Scotland in the last quarter of the 20th century. It makes it that much harder to work out where places are, or more important where to look for information.

I am lucky enough to live in the part of Morayshire that is now in Moray!

Offline lynne99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 10:33 GMT (UK) »
I am so glad it was not me being dense!!!  And you did well to stay in Moray Well done  ;)
Mitchell, Liverpool