Author Topic: Why did so many people have to be named William Hunter?  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Heather Lassell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Why did so many people have to be named William Hunter?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 15:14 GMT (UK) »
All I know is before she moved to America she was living at 106 Budhill Avenue

From the 1935 valuation roll, there is a Mrs Elizabeth Sweeney showing as a tenant at 106 Budhill Avenue. Would this be Jane's mother?

When was Jane born? It might (or might not!) give some clues on William Hunter's age.

Monica

Oh and also she had a sister Elizabeth Sweeney as well.  lol  So mother, sister and daughter.  Jane was born in 1898.

Offline Heather Lassell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 15:56 GMT (UK) »

When was Jane born? It might (or might not!) give some clues on William Hunter's age.

See from Jane's shipping manifest entry into the US in 1957 that she showed as born on 1.10.1898 and marital status is single (not a surprise from what you have mentioned).

She showed same address of 106 Budhill Avenue when she re-entered the UK in 1958.

Monica

LOL NEVERMIND I read that wrong.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Did you also check the other Shettleston death (1945 was one, the other 1943)?

William Hunter might have been married to someone, before, during or after  ::) Finding him will likely be a process of elimination more than likely. A check in person of the valuation rolls post 1935 at the address you have would help you to narrow down dates. SP are adding years for the VRs all the time so keep an eye out for that.

Your Elizabeth's birth in 1933 is indexed in both Bothwell (usual residence) and Belshill (where birth took place from the cert you have). Also, indexed under Hunter and Sweeney. You can only register a birth with the reputed father's name if he shows up at the Registrar and gives his consent to his name being included as father. 

There is one possible birth for a Jean Sweeney in 1937 in Bellshill. The surname Hunter doesn't seem to feature on that. Consider also that they may not have had the same fathers? Or, simply reputed father didn't show up for registration of birth. Just guesses really at this stage...

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Heather Lassell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Did you also check the other Shettleston death (1945 was one, the other 1943)?

William Hunter might have been married to someone, before, during or after  ::) Finding him will likely be a process of elimination more than likely. A check in person of the valuation rolls post 1935 at the address you have would help you to narrow down dates. SP are adding years for the VRs all the time so keep an eye out for that.

Your Elizabeth's birth in 1933 is indexed in both Bothwell (usual residence) and Belshill (where birth took place from the cert you have). Also, indexed under Hunter and Sweeney. You can only register a birth with the reputed father's name if he shows up at the Registrar and gives his consent to his name being included as father. 

There is one possible birth for a Jean Sweeney in 1937 in Bellshill. The surname Hunter doesn't seem to feature on that. Consider also that they may not have had the same fathers? Or, simply reputed father didn't show up for registration of birth. Just guesses really at this stage...

Monica

Yes I suppose you just never know eh?  I wish there were better records of all the employees of each mine with their name, birthdate and address!  If only.  I will be checking at Mitchell Library & Scotlands People.  Also the Library of Scotland.  I would like to see the valuation rolls for 1940-1945 and see if I can find where he was living. 

So maybe he was married to someone else when Jean was born so he didn't show up at the hospital this time?  lol  I hate the guessing game and the hunter in me NEEDS TO KNOW! 

I did also view that other Shettleston record as well and the address didn't match the only one I know at meadowbank...