Author Topic: Hancock  (Read 1892 times)

Offline Steven Hancock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hancock
« on: Thursday 04 August 05 20:53 BST (UK) »
John Hancock (1770) married Hannah Addsetts (1771) Had a son William Hancock (1795) who married a Mary Kelk. They had a son Henry Hancock (1819) All lived in Blyth or Worksop.
Has anyone any infomation that could help me trace my family tree.

Steven Hancock

Offline Steve Ley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hancock
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 August 05 22:31 BST (UK) »
From the NFHS baptisms transcript;

PLACE        DATE  BORN  CNAME    FNAME  MNAME   MSURN  FSURN    ABODE    PROF  Record 
~~~~~~~~--------
BLY    27/01/1793        John     John   Hannah         HANCOCK  Blyth          588372 
BLY    14/09/1795        William  John   Hannah         HANCOCK  Hodsock        588479 
BLY    07/12/1799        Thomas   John   Hannah         HANCOCK  Hodsock        588650 

Steve.
Census images Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

<br /><br /> Researching LEY, MEATS, LEVER (Nottingham)<br /> KERRIAGE/KERRIDGE/CARRIAGE (Norfolk, Cambridge,Lincoln)<br /> WISEMAN (Cambridge)<br /> UNWIN (Staffordshire,Derbyshire)<br /> FRANCES/FRANCIS (Norfolk)<br /> And BELL, McKENZIE and GRAY in Scotland.

Offline G Mlx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 January 18 16:15 GMT (UK) »
John Hancock (1770) married Hannah Addsetts (1771) Had a son William Hancock (1795) who married a Mary Kelk. They had a son Henry Hancock (1819) All lived in Blyth or Worksop.
Has anyone any infomation that could help me trace my family tree.

Steven Hancock
Yes I can help you if this John Hancock was baptised on the 4th August 1770 at Blyth St.Mary, Notts and died 23rd March 1824, aged 53 (No. 318 in the Register) and buried in Blyth St.Mary. He was living at the Rush Houses?, Hodstock, Notts. He had married on the 10th April 1792 Hannah Adsetts the daughter of John Adsetts. She had been baptised on the 9th June 1771 at Laverton All Saints, Notts. and died 15th February 1837, aged 66 (No.735 in the Register) and was buried at Blyth St. Mary.
Their son Thomas Hancock baptised 7th December 1799 at Blyth St.Mary (No.234 in the Registry) and died 1st January 1854 in Workshop aged 54? (No. 4330 in the Register). He was living in Abbey Street. He had married on the 18th December 1820 Ann Garside the daughter of Joseph Garside. She was baptised on the 4th August 1801 at Worksop and died 7th Feburary 1858 in Workshop, aged 56 (No.4953 in the Register, page 322).
This Thomas Hancock was listed in Whites Directory of 1832 as owing the King William beer house in Abbey Street and later he was also listed under the heading of English Timber Dealers, Sawyers and Hedge Carpenters. In the 1851 Census he is listed as a Malster employing six men and living at 96 Abbey Street. He had a son Thomas who married Ann Mellors and John, also William who married Elizabeth Shirtcliff. (This William Hancock youngest son, Alfred has issue living today).
Joseph Garside born 1768 who married Elizabeth Taylor had another daughter Millicent Amelia Garside who gave birth to Joseph Hancock Garside, born 1812, two months before she married his father John Hancock, a brother of Thomas Hancock of 68 Abbey Street, who had married her sister Ann Garside. I think that in the 1861 Census, it may have been your Henry Hancock who was living at 59 Marecroft, aged 42 and listed as a Sawyer, with his wife Ann and eight children.
I have a lot more information about the Hancock family of Worksop if you are interested.
John Hancock (1770-1824), parents were John Hancock born circa 1740 and died 3rd September 1816 aged 76 (No. 112 in the Register) and buried at Blyth St.Mary, married on the 31st March 1766 Amy Ryalls born circa 1745 and died 5th January 1818 aged 73 (No.148 in the Register) and also buried at Blyth St.Mary.

Offline adamquesne

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 February 22 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I believe Joseph Hancock Garside is a direct relative of mine on my mother's side. I am struggling a little because it seems that perhaps he has switched between using his Hancock surname and Garside, but I believe he had a son named Joseph Garside born either 1844 or 1851 who married a Jessie Logan, but I'm struggling to nail down exactly which Joseph Garside is my relative. Any help would be appreciated.... thank you, Adam

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 February 22 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Start by researching all the Joseph candidates to see which one married Jessie Logan.  Further back you have the info from previous posts to the effect that John Hancock and Hannah Addsetts had 3 sons, Thomas who mar Ann Garside 1820, John who mar Millicent Amelia Garside 1812 and William who mar Mary Kelk.  Thus two brothers married two sisters.  The beginning of the Garside/Hancock - Hancock/Garside problem seems to be when Millicent gave birth to the son she baptised Joseph Garside, she married John Hancock a few months later and presumably Joseph grew up using either or both names, and in no particular order. 

So, a Joseph Garside Hancock mar Jessie Logan March qtr 1888 Cambridge.  1901 census Peterborough all Garside Joseph 61 b Worksop, Jessie 41 b Manchester, Amelia b 17 Hull, William 16 b Pontefract, Mary 9 b Northampton, Joseph 7 b Gt Yarmouth, Frank 2 b Gravesend.  1891 census Thrapstone, Northants Joseph 47 b Worksop, Jessie 34 b Leeds, Chas 13 b Hull, Theresa 11 b Hull, Amelia 8 b Hull, Wiliam 6 b Pontefract.  This suggests Joseph already had children when he married Jessie.  GRO birth reg index Joseph Garside 1893 Yarmouth mother's maiden name Logan, Joseph 1891 Northampton mother's maiden name Logan, Amelia Hancock Garside 1883 Lincoln mother's maiden name Spurr.  Joseph Hancock Garside mar Elizabeth Spurr Sept 1881 Lincoln.  Either or both marriage certificates will give you the name and occupation of Joseph's father. 

Back a generation.  1861 Worksop census all Hancock Joseph 49, Mary Ann 51 b Doncaster, Eliza 18, Millicent 13.  1851 Worksop census all Hancock Joseph 38, Mary Ann 40, Sarah 11, *Eliza 11, *Joseph 8, Melicent 6, **Eliza Lockwood 42 visitor b Doncaster.  1841 Worksop census all Hancock living next door to one another Mary Hancock 45, Henry 20, Ann 20, Sarah Ann 2, Mary 2m.  Joseph 25, Mary Ann 30, William 9, Sarah 1.  Thomas 20, Alice 20 Edwin 1. 

*per GRO index mothers maiden name Davison
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5818525fe93790eb7f958c70/mary-ann-davison-joseph-hancock-garside-marriage-nottinghamshire-worksop-1831-03-07?locale=en 
** Eliza Davison bpt 28/8/1809 Doncaster dau of Geo and Mary C Davison

Have a play, draw up some trees and have a go at eliminating other Josephs.  Good luck

Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne