Author Topic: soldier in uniform what regiment please  (Read 2932 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: soldier in uniform what regiment please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 11:27 GMT (UK) »
I'd support Frank's Glamorgan Imperial Yeomanry, the scroll is in three parts rather than one as with the Lancers. GS buttons were worn by most so I don't think they help in this case and my understanding is that the spelling Welch was not used until the 1920s and this looks earlier.

It would also help explain the bandolier which is more cavalry related than infantry (although infantrymen with mounted duties wore a bandolier).

Whatever, the man pictured is not in the uniform of the ASC (doesn't preclude earlier service in the Yeomanry of course).

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 11:41 GMT (UK) »
GS buttons were worn by most so I don't think they help in this case

I had assumed that regimental buttons would be worn, but ordering factories in WW1 to produce millions of GS buttons rather than smaller batches of hundreds of different types of regimental buttons makes economic sense.  MaxD - you have (again) taught me something new - thank you!

In that case the Glamorgan Imperial Yeomanry definitely gets my vote.

(ADDED - I can't see a Glamorgan Imperial Yeomanry shoulder badge on g00gle, but ther Glamorgan T-Y shoulder badge is consistent)
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,

GS buttons were not just a wartime economy drive. All regts were made to have them in the late 1800s to standardise uniforms. Collar badges were brought in to compensate for the loss of regt'l buttons. Since ww1 many regt's have been allowed dispensation to revert to regt'l buttons.

Frank is right on with Glamorgan Imperial Yeomanry.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline gw0mow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 19:00 GMT (UK) »
from gw0mow john thank everyone for your help and expertise ,I had been hoping to say to the wife ,this was your uncle idris in his rasc uniform ,  not so straightforward hi,  I was looking on ances*** .com    at his short service attestation papers basicly   idris davies his address in abecynon  his age a bit out, 21 yrs and 2 months on 7 dec 1914     says joined at porthcawl   asc welsh army corps driver   ,,expeditionary force thru 1916+lastly transferred to class z -20-19  employment whilst in army  batman , I have letters here and census /electoral rolls linking him to abertaff villa abercynon ,  thanks again everyone
harris

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, he's the man on your other post, "Driver" means he led a team of horses.

Regards
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 January 18 18:55 GMT (UK) »
The Absent Voters List for 2 Abertaf Villas, Abercynon has:

John William Davies  Pte 25706 Welsh Regt
Idris Davies  ASC (nil number shown)

I can't see any papers for JWD. He has a Silver War Badge which shows enlisted 11 1 1915, discharged 23 12 1918. There are papers for 25704 Blackler which show he enlisted into Welsh Regt on 12 1 1915. I mention this to cover any possibility that JWD might have transferred in from Glam Yeo. It looks like he didn't so he is not the one with those shoulder tabs, unless of course it's a pre war photo.

Offline gw0mow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 January 18 22:35 GMT (UK) »
The Absent Voters List for 2 Abertaf Villas, Abercynon has:

John William Davies  Pte 25706 Welsh Regt
Idris Davies  ASC (nil number shown)

I can't see any papers for JWD. He has a Silver War Badge which shows enlisted 11 1 1915, discharged 23 12 1918. There are papers for 25704 Blackler which show he enlisted into Welsh Regt on 12 1 1915. I mention this to cover any possibility that JWD might have transferred in from Glam Yeo. It looks like he didn't so he is not the one with those shoulder tabs, unless of course it's a pre war photo.
   dear Gwil, thanks for the info, we knew idris was in army from online info ,and family stories however ,we did not realize john willie was also in army , we assumed he was working in the coal mines , as we think of the other 2 brothers cyril and david  all then in abercynon  all the best john
harris

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 January 18 16:17 GMT (UK) »
It's for the Glamorgan Yeomanry.  The imperial was dropped in 1908.

The 3 segmented scroll is very distinctive and very different from the shape of a Welsh Regt scroll.
As an aside the 12th lancers badge suggested ceased to be worn in 1903.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 January 18 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi alan o  :) just out of interest what do you make of the shoulder title? do you see it as a letter "I" above a "Y"?

Would the shoulder title (if as I think, is a I above a Y) still be worn after the name change? just interested to know.

Regards always
Frank  :)

Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands