Author Topic: Hulme Hall Wood Carvings  (Read 735 times)

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hulme Hall Wood Carvings
« on: Wednesday 10 January 18 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Dear Sirs,
one of the most beautiful manors of Lancashire was Hulme Hall, it was famous for its great collection of medieval wood carvings. In the 1840's the hall was demolished. All the carvings were moved to the Old Hall at Worsley...later they were removed from there to the New Hall of Worsley... which was demolished in late 1940's. I am assuming carvings were preserved at some local Salford museum...but of course I am not sure about it. I would highly appreciate any info on the wood carvings of old Hulme Hall. Thanks in advance. Kind regards, Ruslan

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hulme Hall Wood Carvings
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 20:13 GMT (UK) »
I looked up Worsley Hall but if as you say it has been demolished that will be a dead end.
I wonder if you contacted Salford Council there would be any relevant info there?It is possible they are in a museum but I do not know the name of any.
If Ordsall Hall still exists they could be there.
I wish you success in this interesting quest.
Do let us know.
                      Viktoria.

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Dear Viktoria, thanks so much, appreciate !!! I contacted Salford Museum and Gallery, and now I am going to contact Ordsall Hall as you suggested. Of course I am going to post on this forum the results of my research...hope those medieval carvings exist.  Thanks again and my sincere appreciation.

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 January 18 20:07 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid it appears that the wood carvings have not survived. Over the course of the early 20th century, Worsley New Hall fell into disrepair. While the Hall was under military occupation during WWII, there were reports that interior fittings had been used for firewood. Although the War Department was fined to cover the cost of the repairs, in September 1943 the top floor of the building was badly damaged by fire and the rest of the structure weakened by dry rot and mining subsistence. In the late 1940s the Hall was demolished to ground level and the debris used to fill up the basements. By 1949, just over 100 years after it had been built, the Hall was completely demolished. 800 tons of the Hall's stonework was transported to Yorkshire and used in the construction of council houses in Southfield, Heptonstall.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 January 18 22:52 GMT (UK) »
What a shame,that sort of thing goes on all the time.
However did you find all that out?
At least you know now what happened to the carvings.
Thanks for the information.
Viktoria.

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 January 18 02:09 GMT (UK) »
I did intense research and contacted several organizations in Manchester on that subject, unfortunately treasure of 40 Medieval Oak Carvings is gone...very sad story, looks like they were produced in the 16c and were designed to decorate one of the local churches in Manchester, but because of Reformation (which was against decorations at the churches) it never happened so those carvings were preserved in Hulme Hall for couple of hundred years...the rest is the history...