Author Topic: Arthur and Lily Higgins  (Read 2139 times)

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arthur and Lily Higgins
« on: Wednesday 10 January 18 09:54 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother Margaret Higgins eas born in 1902 and we have a number of photo's of Arthur and Lily Higgins. My father has written cousins and for Arthur 2nd lieutenant in a military picture. There are no pictures after say WW1 and I can not recall them being mentioned. They look a few years older than Margaret. Any help identifying them and their family. I assume they were originally in the Sherborne area of Dorset.Perhaps Arthur's military career took him away or was he killed and Lily might have married and moved away. The Higgins family had a few unmarried mother's and that might be the case here as I can't find a photo with any parents.

Very many thanks for all the help I have received with my grandmother's family.

Mark

Mark

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur and Lily Higgins
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 10:11 GMT (UK) »
If you can scan and post the photo of Arthur in uniform it might identify his regiment and so help you look for more information.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Noting that Margaret was born in Yeovil Registration District in 1902, as per your previous posts, this might be Lily:

Births, June qtr 1880
Wincanton Registration District     vol 5c, page 488

Higgins, Lily

No Mother's maiden name on the GRO Index search.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks and this would likely be in the right area however I would guess from the photograph that this is not her. The 3 of them are children in the photograph with Margaret as the youngest. Many thanks again for your help. Mark

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 11:48 GMT (UK) »
wonder if Lily was Lilian Mary Brookman Higgins -she was a cousin of margaret - and was a daughter of William Higgins and Ellen Jane- they also had a son Alfred William and a daughter Kathleen Muriel

Who was Margaret's mother?

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 11:56 GMT (UK) »
That does sound very likely. Margaret's mother was Bessie Higgins who lived for sometime with her father George at Trent Mill. William is the William, I believe, who moved to Neath and became chief constable. Although a number of pictures show them at Trent it would suggest that they hadn't moved by them or they were taken when on holidays back in Dorset. Very many thanks. Mark

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 12:19 GMT (UK) »
If you look through census I think you will find Margaret stayed at one time with her uncle William (consatble) and his wife Ellen Jane and children Lilian May Brockman, Alfred William, and Kathleen Muriel.

Lilian May Brockman died 1958 in Swansea
Probate
Lilian May Brockman Higgins (known as Lilian May) spinster of 20 Hadland terrace West Cross Swansea died 15 Sept 1958 Administration London 16 Dec to Alfred William Higgins, civil servant
Effects £2191 0s 3d

Lilian May was Margaret's cousin
Lilian May's father William was younger brother of Bessie (Margaret's mother)

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 13:05 GMT (UK) »
You are a star. Thank you very much. It was interesting ti see that Alfred administered as it shows that he must have survived WW1.

Thank you again, Mark

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 13:15 GMT (UK) »
It  is Arthur you were looking for -not Alfred???

Suz