Author Topic: Marriage Look Up?  (Read 1390 times)

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Look Up?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Have you managed to find Walter in the 1939 Register to see what his occupation was? It might give a clue as to why he moved to the Southport area.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 13:58 GMT (UK) »
I think it records him as a motor driver when I looked a while back. 

I do know he worked helping his Father, my Grandfather who was a coal merchant.   I heard he did not like this work of delivering coal.   My Grandfather is recorded as a labourer ( I know from family that he was self employed as a coal merchant and this is recorded in local directories too).
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 16:58 GMT (UK) »
The marriage could have been in a Non Conformist Church or a RC church where they had to have a registrar present hence on LancsBMD Reister Office or Registrar attended.

In the vicinity of Princes Street around that time there were 2 Methodist, 3 Congregational, 1 Baptist, 1 Welsh and 1 Synagogue. All would have probably needed a Registrar present.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 January 18 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this information.  I suppose that is understandable.  Sadly, this marriage broke down and my Uncle returned to the Northumberland area that he was from.  However, he must have liked the Lancashire area as he returned to live there with his second wife who is also now deceased.

I am not sure why he went to this area in the first place and there is no one left of his generation to ask.  His only child from second marriage is deceased.  He had a son from first marriage long before I was born.
are you sure there weren' TWO sons ?  ...a few miles away in Ormskirk in 1953 there is another Senior /Bowers birth of a boy -  Ormskirk to Southport is 8 miles by road ...I certainly wouldn't rule out that birth until you have checked it out  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 January 18 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your post garstonite for your post.

My Uncle remarried in 1947.  Looking at freebmd I can see that the second marriage took place in Manchester.

I think his first wife did remarry in Ormskirk in 1961.  Perhaps she had another child between marriages or perhaps this child may have been my Uncle's. I suppose anything is possible.  I think it is a shame that our side of the family never had any contact with this first son or perhaps sons. ???
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 January 18 10:44 GMT (UK) »
I am no quite sure if this marriage is relevant
Audrey Senior and Leonard Gist
St Lawrence Kirkdale

no it's not her father was George
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 January 18 10:50 GMT (UK) »
My Aunt was in Southport a few years earlier,am not sure if Audrey was involved in the war efforts but our Aunt went there prior to serving in the NAAFI  in WW2,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 January 18 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Radcliff,

Thanks for your posts.  I know virtually nothing at all about my Uncle's first wife apart from she and my Uncle had a son or perhaps from what I have read on here possibly two sons and their marriage broke down.

I have inherited two photos of my Uncle with a young woman.  These photos look as though they were taken in the forties.  I used to think these were of the Aunty I knew. (Second wife) However, these photos look radically different from her when I knew her.  I know people can sometimes change a lot in looks as they get older.  However, I am now starting to think that the photos I have may actually be of my Uncle and his first wife.

Best Wishes :)