Author Topic: Baptism Records 1810 - 1840 Co Down  (Read 1842 times)

Offline GWR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism Records 1810 - 1840 Co Down
« on: Wednesday 10 January 18 21:52 GMT (UK) »
I would like to know what information is given on baptism records. I have found a record in FHL Film number: 0823750 showing
Name   James Gordon
Gender   Male
Christening Date   25 Jul 1813
Christening Place   MAGHERALIN,DOWN,IRELAND
Father's Name   John Gordon
and
Name   William Gordon
Gender   Male
Christening Date   28 Apr 1816
and
Name   Elizabeth Gordon
Gender   Female
Christening Date   07 Feb 1819
Mother's Name   Sarah

Is there anyway of finding out what the Father, John Gordon did? and what the maiden name of the Mother, Sarah is? from these baptism records.
I have not been able to find a marriage for John Gordon. he married a Sarah unknown and lived in Newtownards, Co Down  1791 - 1837. He was a tailor.
Annt assistance would be appreciated.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism Records 1810 - 1840 Co Down
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 January 18 08:32 GMT (UK) »
You really need to look at the film, but I see the microfilm from which these have been taken is still only on microfilm on the LDS, and not yet digitised on their site. You can no longer send for films to view. The plan was to have all films digitised by 2020  - so you may have to wait a couple of years!
Having said that, I'd think it was highly unlikely to find the mother 'Sarah's' maiden name in the register. It would seem she is not even mentioned in the baptisms of the other two children. There may be an occupation given for the father though.
It looks as if the original film is at the PRO.
https://www.johngrenham.com/records/church.php?civilparishid=392&civilparish=Magheralin&search_type=full
You could look at it there presumably, or get some to look at it for you.

By the way, I see there is a James Gordon at Magheralin on Griffiths Valuation. Is this your man?
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&Submit.x=43&Submit.y=10&Submit=Submit&familyname=gordon&firstname=james&baronyname=&countyname=DOWN&unionname=&parishname=MAGHERALIN
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline GWR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 January 18 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Goldie61 for your helpful suggestions. If these records are to be digitised in the next few year then obviously patience will be a virtue. As the possibility of visiting PRO in Belfast is not an option I hope that someone else is reading this might and then who knows?
The James Gordon in the Griffith Valuation is not my Family as I know he was a successful tailor in Regents Street, Newtownards by this date,
Once again, thank you for your help.

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 January 18 06:33 GMT (UK) »
Note that the address given for the three Church of Ireland baptisms you cited was the townland of Lismaine in the civil parish of Magheralin:

http://www.placenamesni.org/resultdetails.php?entry=11260

Notwithstanding that the information on such records is insufficient to be conclusive, note that a John Gordon of Lismaine also had a daughter Sarah baptised in Magheralin Church of Ireland parish on 5 July 1812 and a daughter Frances baptised there on 25 November 1821, the mother in the latter case given as Sarah. No other information available.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 January 18 09:27 GMT (UK) »
You asked what John Gordon’s occupation was. Lismaine townland was (and still is) largely agricultural land. There were no Gordons listed there in the 1834 tithe applotment records, so assuming that was still the family home, then they weren’t farmers. The majority of the rest of the population in rural areas were usually labourers and weavers.  So though it’s not conclusive proof, that would be my guess for John’s occupation.

http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/magheralin-parish.php#.Wlh-tRR2ug0
Elwyn

Offline GWR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 January 18 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for these further suggestions, Gaffy, & Elwyn Soutter, I think, My John Gordon (1791 - 1837) was a weaver and turned Tailor on moving to Newtownards. When? Well his eldest son James Gordon (1813- 1891) was a successful tailor in Newtownards and paid for a headstone for the family grave at Molvilla Cemetery. (see inscription below)
I am still trying to establish when John moved to Newtownards and more about his early life. His other sons also were tailors Arthur Gordon (1819 -1872) moving to Liverpool around 1849 & William Gordon (1815 -1891) moving to Preston, Lancs. around 1855.
Where would 3 sons learn this trade in the early 1800's ? Working in Fathers Tailors shop, perhaps, and then moving away when qualified?
This search has hit the proverbial brick wall and I have no certain knowledge of where my Gordon's lived in the early 1800's
Any help, would be most appreciated......Thank you

Headstone Inscription:

Erected by JAMES GORDON, Tailor, of Newtownards In Memory of his Father JOHN GORDON who died 25th Sept. 1837 Aged 49 years. Also his Mother SARAH GORDON who died 22nd April 1847 Aged 53 years. Also his Son ROBERT JOHN, who died 23rd July 1849 Aged 2 years. Also his Son JOHN McKITTRICK, who died April 28th 1859 Aged 2 years. Also his son ANDREW STRATTON GORDON who died January 23rd 1870 Aged 27 years. Also the above named JAMES GORDON who died 5th May 1891 Aged 78 years. Also ELIZABETH STRATTON, wife of the above named JAMES GORDON, who died 30th August 1894 aged 76 years. Also his son CHARLES NELSON GORDON who died in New York, U.S.A. 15th April 1890 aged 40 years.