Author Topic: Trying to find death of a Robert Charlton  (Read 1218 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Trying to find death of a Robert Charlton
« on: Thursday 11 January 18 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters, help required/any ideas where to go? Robert Charlton married my Great Aunt Maria Thompson January 1923 at Gateshead. The marriage certificate states his occupation as Station Master and address as Station house, Bensham, Gateshead. I have an address for them in 1935 at Denewell Avenue, Low Fell, Gateshead and he is down as Station Master. After that nothing.
He was born July-Sept 1882 at Pelton Fell, Chester-Le-Street, Durham, parents Ralph and Mary Ann with his fathers occupation being Railway Engine Driver/Stoker (this would be for the NER which became the LNER in 1923). 1901 census has Robert as Asst. signalman and 1911 as Railway signalman (NER). In 1911 he was married to Florence and had 2 children Robert & Gilbert. Florence died in 1919 (aged 35). He was living with family in South Shields in 1901 and in Lemington on Tyne in 1911
Obviously being a station master for the LNER he could have been transferred to anywhere in the area covering London up to the border or even into Scotland and as Robert Charlton is a common name there are numerous!!! deaths for the period 1935 -1964. I have chosen those dates as he was living in Gateshead in 1935 (as previously mentioned) and his wifes death in 1964 and I know she was a widow having been taken by my mother to visit her when very young.
As Maria was 50 (give or take a couple of months) I don't think they would have had children together.
I have posed this question on the LNER website about 6 months ago but to date no reply. I have got into LNER history website for the railway museum in York but found it difficult to navigate and couldn't find anything.
So would anyone out there know where I can go for any information or does anyone have the ability to access information records of where he was a station master or if he stayed at Bensham. Any help would be gratefully appreciated as this is the last part of their history that I need to find.
Many thanks, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find death of a Robert Charlton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 January 18 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Just looking at family, Robert and Florence also had a son Norman  born 1908 Castle Ward Registration and his death also recorded Castle Ward in 1910 age 1

Added her maiden name was Corner.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 January 18 07:00 GMT (UK) »
1939 register index, sorry don't have a subscription
Maria Charlton born 1873, plus William D Thompson and one more person listed in Gateshead C B, Durham.

I'm going by the fact you said she was about 50 when married 1923, so if this is the correct family
I was hoping to prove she was already a widow, but cannot as she may have been visiting.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 January 18 07:07 GMT (UK) »
You are right -she was widowed

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 January 18 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kay99, that's narrowed down his death from 1935-1939 or perhaps 1934 as directories are often printed a year ahead of distribution.

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 January 18 07:16 GMT (UK) »
1939 register index, sorry don't have a subscription
Maria Charlton born 1873, plus William D Thompson and one more person listed in Gateshead C B, Durham.

I'm going by the fact you said she was about 50 when married 1923, so if this is the correct family
I was hoping to prove she was already a widow, but cannot as she may have been visiting.

Hello amondg, thank you for the information re additional child and maiden name of Roberts wife.
re 1939 register, William D Thompson was my grandfather, Maria his sister, the 3rd person was my father Ronald Thompson. Many thanks, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 January 18 07:21 GMT (UK) »
You are right -she was widowed

Hello Kay, thanks for your reply. Are you saying that Maria was a widow in 1939? That meant that Robert would have been between 53-57 when he died (alive in 1935). That narrows it down. Many thanks, Paul

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 January 18 07:24 GMT (UK) »
This might  be him  - wife on probate Maria

Robert Charlton
Death:    21 Feb 1937 - Newcastle upon Tyne
Probate    22 Mar 1937 - Newcastle-Upon-Tyne

Address at time of death 2 Mayfair Road Jesmond
Left £980 13s 6p

Could tie in with this death
Robert Charlton Age    54
Newcastle upon Tyne Mar Qtr 1937 Vol   10b Page    205

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 January 18 08:17 GMT (UK) »
This might  be him  - wife on probate Maria

Robert Charlton
Death:    21 Feb 1937 - Newcastle upon Tyne
Probate    22 Mar 1937 - Newcastle-Upon-Tyne

Address at time of death 2 Mayfair Road Jesmond
Left £980 13s 6p

Could tie in with this death
Robert Charlton Age    54
Newcastle upon Tyne Mar Qtr 1937 Vol   10b Page    205

Kay, thank you so much for that, it most probably will be him, ordering the death certificate will, of course, prove it. So many thanks for your help, I appreciate it. Cheers,
Paul