Author Topic: Robert RONSON. Indecent Assault - July 1889 at Carlisle. Criminal Records  (Read 2031 times)

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
Re: Robert RONSON. Indecent Assault - July 1889 at Carlisle. Criminal Records
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 January 18 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Just to clear up a few points. Damned journalists (I was one myself): they should be more accurate in their description of courts.

The Crown Court referred to in the report would be the Cumberland Assizes held in the very distinctive round courthouses near Carlisle Station. They were presided over by a high court judge of the Kings/Queens Bench Division who moved around the country trying the most serious cases.

The County Court: This is just local slang for the Cumberland Ward Magistrates Court which dealt with cases from the rural area around Carlisle. The proper County Court dealt with civil matters such as debt.

Now for the lighter side. I do remember an Assize Court judge, Mr Justice Melford Stevenson sentencing a football hooligan to 10 years imprisonment, whereupon his counsel asked if he could make a plea for leniency.

"You May" said the judge.

"M'lord I am given to understand that my client has a terminal illness and may not live 10 years," said counsel.

"Ask him to try" was the reply..
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Clearly.

I have to say in defence of your trade that the work journalists did are proving invaluable to me via The British Newspaper Archives in adding much colour and detail of all shades to my family history.

I suppose the wit of the judge in the case your reference is a little similar to the American Judge who allowed a prisoners appeal against his 154 year sentence by cutting it to 145 years.
Middleham, Ronson, Skinner, Rowe, Dennison, Weightman, Dalton, Rowe, Brown, Stead, Thompson, Nicholls, Porter, Brough, Pattinson, Wannop, Ruddick, Waugh mainly in Cumberland, Yorkshire, Scotland.

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 January 18 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I’ve checked the Journal, the evening Journal and also the examiner.  They all have the same small article. Sorry can’t post a copy - not allowed in look up section.  It does say that her stepmother who lived at Skeltons Yard, Dalston gave evidence as well as the policeman Adam Armstrong, Dr Barnes and William Gate of Dalston.

The papers that week were full of the trial for the “ravishing” and murder of Sebra Troughear by William Kerr, at Dalston, so maybe didn’t get the the cover it would have normally!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 January 18 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant Gan Yam,

Thank you so much.

I hadn't spotted that about her step mother living in Dalston. That explains one thing for me as I thought it odd that she would have travelled from the family home in Peel Street to Dalston just to clean for an old man.

Yes, I read all about the Kerr murder myself with great interest. Shocking stuff. Would seem more at home in 21st century UK cities than 1880's Dalston but then this was the exact time of Jack the Ripper I suppose.

Thanks again,

Neil.
Middleham, Ronson, Skinner, Rowe, Dennison, Weightman, Dalton, Rowe, Brown, Stead, Thompson, Nicholls, Porter, Brough, Pattinson, Wannop, Ruddick, Waugh mainly in Cumberland, Yorkshire, Scotland.