Author Topic: 1921 UK Census NEWS  (Read 10514 times)

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1921 UK Census NEWS
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 January 18 23:41 GMT (UK) »
My money is on it going to one of the well known subscription sites.

And my money is on FindMyPast,  they got the 1939 register, and the1911 census first.  That's if FindMyPast want it at a huge cost.  If they do get it no doubt they'll charge extra for it, not include it in a subscription, same as they did in the beginning with 1939 register.  Whoever gets it will want to recoup the cost of transcribing digitising and other costs.

Pleased I don't need it to further my research, however I'll be using it, if only to be nosey  ;D

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 January 18 03:44 GMT (UK) »
The first name I will be looking for is  Margaret Manuel born about 1871, (St. Mary's US of America). 1911 Census, England. America is a big place for a place name St. Mary's. Her married name Rounsley. Lived and died in County Durham after returning from USA.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 12 January 18 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Like Libby, I don’t actually need the 1921 census as the 1939 register solved all my questions. However it will be interesting if it contains actual places of employment.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 12 January 18 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Lots of my rellies died inbetween 1921 and 1939 so I shall certainly look forward to the 1921 census. First entry I shall look at will be my London born great grandmother in Co Durham.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 12 January 18 13:57 GMT (UK) »
My great-grandmother had a child in about 1908, several years after her husband died. On the birth certificate, she named her long-dead husband as the father. The child in question died in 1926, cause of death, tuberculosis. I have no idea who the real father might have been except for a previously unknown surname given to the baby as a middle name. 1911 was of no help whatsoever but I live in hope of clues from 1921. Great granny died in 1939, before the register was taken.

There are several other little niggly points about my mum's family which need to be cleared up so I live in eternal hope of some level of resolution!
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 12 January 18 14:19 GMT (UK) »
I believe, someone will no doubt correct me if I am wrong, but this will not apply to the Scottish 1921 Census.

It is held in the National Archives of Scotland and the Scottish Government will decide on its release date. That will probably mean that it will only be available at Scotlands People the same as the 1911 Scottish Census and not go out to the highest bidder.

It cannot come quickly enough for me but I had better not hold my breath at my age  ;)

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 12 January 18 14:29 GMT (UK) »
I too am eagerly awaiting the 1921 release. While the 1939 has been great, there are gaps in my tree on families who ‘grew’ between 1911 and 1939 😀
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 12 January 18 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Not too worried about the 1921 - grandparents on one side have already been followed on the Canadian 1920s census, and the other set of grandparents are thoroughly known. Not really prepared to pay more in subs, as, year by year there seems to be less for me to find on those sites, sadly. I think I ought to put my money into a crystal ball, might find those elusive and mislaid ones more easily that way!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline united

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 12 January 18 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Not too worried about the 1921 - grandparents on one side have already been followed on the Canadian 1920s census, and the other set of grandparents are thoroughly known. Not really prepared to pay more in subs, as, year by year there seems to be less for me to find on those sites, sadly. I think I ought to put my money into a crystal ball, might find those elusive and mislaid ones more easily that way!
If you find a reliable crystal ball, do share the details - I am sorely in need of one .......!!!