Author Topic: Help with some abbreviations/descriptions on Service Record  (Read 521 times)

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with some abbreviations/descriptions on Service Record
« on: Thursday 11 January 18 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have attached a copy of one of the pages of this service record where I have a couple of queries.
In column C the first few lines I believe refer to this guy needing medical attention. I did find Casualty clearing station for the CCS abbreviation. Could someone explain what the lines mean and does it mean he is transferred from one place to next. Please excuse my ignorance on this.
About halfway down in the same column it says he arrived  4 L of C Signals. I know he was in the Royal Corps of Signals and the only thing I can find that matches this is 'Line of Communication Corp'. Perhaps someone maybe able to set me straight.
Further on from this entry when he is in the 8th Army Signals it has 'Entered ........  Area' Then next line down it has' Left .......................Area. Then 3rd line has granted ......
Is anybody able to read and tell me what this means.
Any help would be terrific. As i said this is all new to me. Am trying to find as much information before I post here.
Many thanks in advance
Kentish Kiwi

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with some abbreviations/descriptions on Service Record
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 January 18 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Here we go
He is admitted to No 7 South African Casualty Clearing Station (a CCS run by the South Africans) X II list is an administrative thing, means he is away from his normal unit sick or wounded.
Moved to No 8 SA CCS
Sent from there to No 6 General Hospital , taken off the X II list and Returned to unit (RTU)
Posted to 4 Lines of Communications Signals - the R Signals unit that covered the supply chain of the force he was with
He entered and left an area in which an additional pay allowance was payable Field Area Allowance and the "granted" is the authorisation for that allowance.
There is another X list in and out, (XIVB) can be safely ignored!
MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help with some abbreviations/descriptions on Service Record
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 January 18 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Max
Thanks for your help once again. It is a bit of a learning curve trying to read these records.

Regards
KK