Author Topic: When was Photo of Gt Gt Grandmother Alice Hill have been taken?  (Read 1120 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
When was Photo of Gt Gt Grandmother Alice Hill have been taken?
« on: Thursday 11 January 18 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I would be grateful if someone could help date the photograph below please. The lady in the photo is my gt gt grandmother Alice Hill (Nee' Spink) (1857-1939).

This is the only scan of the photo that I have & I also do not have a scan of the back of the photo.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David

Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: When was Photo of Gt Gt Grandmother Alice Hill have been taken?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 January 18 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi David...this would be early-mid 1870s. The oval mask is typical of that decade.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 January 18 11:06 GMT (UK) »
As Carol said oval vignette's were a popular 1870's style, however the hair & bodice is typical 1880's.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 January 18 12:09 GMT (UK) »
I would have said 1880's purely because she looks older than if it had been taken early/mid 1870's.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 January 18 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol, Jim1 & Miliepede,

Many thanks for your replies, very much appreciated.

Alice married a week before her 20th birthday in 1877. I have always wondered if it was taken at about that time? But it would appear not as it would seem to be more likely 1880s in date from your replies. Was the photographer using some old/older card stock (is that the right term?) when the photo was taken in the 1880s?

Is she wearing a broach of some sort at the neck & is that a necklace or a watch on a chain around her neck?

Am I right in thinking that the dress that she is wearing has two colours to it? If so any idea as to what colours they may have been? I don't want the photo coloured just intrigued/interested to know. I am aware that this question might be a bit of a long shot as regards the colours, but just interested to know as I say! ;D

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 January 18 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Throat brooches were very popular & I would say she's wearing a locket.
There was a fashion at the time of outfits of the same colour but different materials.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 January 18 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim1,

Many thanks for that, very much appreciated. Very interesting indeed.

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 17:29 GMT (UK) »
For what it's worth, the photographer Bolko Charles Henry Schmiechen was born in Prussia in 1848 and died in England in 1925.  He was naturalised British in 1886 and had studios in Hartlepool (1) and Sunderland (2).  These are shown on the picture frame so I would think he would have taken a little time to open three studios and the mark of his increasing prosperity was the time he is likely to have had three studios is when he could afford the naturalisation process.  I would guess this picture was taken around 1880 - 1885.  His son of the same name was also a professional photographer but not in Sunderland or Hartlepool.  Hope this helps.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elliven,

Many thanks for that most interesting!

My gt gt grandmother lived in Blyth, Northumberland. Sunderland & West Hartlepool seems rather a long way to go to have a photo taken. However, you mention three shops? I seem to have a vague recollection of reading something somewhere that either he or his son opened a shop/branch in either Shields or Ashington? These would be more likely a place to go.

Would anyone have any idea as to when & where the third shop/branch was opened?

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David