Author Topic: Dutch translation please  (Read 179 times)

Offline lininberks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dutch translation please
« on: Thursday 11 January 18 23:28 GMT (UK) »
In the death reg. for Maria Schnitzler there is a letter.  Could someone translate it enough to give me the gist of what is being said about her husband.  She is listed in the index as a widow with one child, but her husband died 14 years later so I am a bit confused!

Thanks

Linda

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dutch translation please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 January 18 16:53 GMT (UK) »
I believe this document is not a letter but that it contains the information of an inheritance for tax purposes.
I’m not great at old documents, but until you get a better translation, the rough gist is:
It is regarding Maria’s inheritance and it does say that when she was alive she was the “housewife” of Adolf Krajenbrink. The document was created by/for “gezijden” (??= the side of)  her spouse as the father and legal guardian of his minor son Johan Adolf. The son inherits via the “direct line” ... I can’t read the last part very well (part of it seems to have been chopped off), but I believe that there is actually nothing of value to inherit.(not sure though)

A better document is the death certificate  … and guess what …. It says she is the “weduwe” ie widow of Adolph as well
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DRZY-6P?i=81&cc=1949343

However, I am sure that this will solve it all:
These are the 'huwelijksbijlagen' for son Johan (documents that were handed in before a marriage)
Start #472: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939K-QBKP-X?i=471&wc=Q84W-TCN%3A300471701%2C301015001%3Fcc%3D1949343&cc=1949343
Image #474/5: Firstly it mentions that Adolf (still alive in 1844) is “weduwnaar” of Maria and then … !! that the deceased Maria is described as the widow of Adolf Krajenbrink in the extract of the civil registration (see Image#476), instead of housewife of of Adolf Krajenbrink and that this error had probably occurred because she had passed away in the house of someone who was a widow herself.
Image #476: Extract Death Register (i.e. from the original death certificate): Maria is “weduwe” of Adolf Krajenbrink.

Sylvia

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline lininberks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dutch translation please
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 January 18 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Sylvia, that clears up the confusion.  As you say, I don't think there was much to inherit which is why Johan Adolf went off the Dutch East Indies to make his fortune!