Author Topic: Death & Burial  (Read 5833 times)

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Death & Burial
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 January 18 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Blimey!  I suggest that you try creating memorials for each of your relatives the the FindAGrave website, if you know where they were interred or cremated, because you can link memorials to those of spouses and of parents.  It would in future save others time in locating the graves or cremations.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 15 January 18 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Dear Stan

After a burial or cremation has taken place, the cemetery or crematorium tears off part of the form it received from the Registrar beforehand, and returns it to the Registrar to confirm the burial or cremation has taken place. This is not done by the informant nor the undertaker.

I have found the relevant form.  :)

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 January 18 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Stan.  The Registrar keeps the record for five years then it is destroyed!  Valuable information lost, just like the 1926 Census Returns in Northern Ireland which were pulped during WW2 because the civil servants did not think the information would be of interest after they had extracted whatever they thought was important!

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 15 January 18 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Part C is attached to the bottom of the Green Form "Certificate for Burial or Cremation", so will be returned after the death has been registered and the death certificate issued, so how would the information be added to the death certificate/certificates already issued? Of course he could add it to the certificate in his registration book.
Births and Deaths Registration Act 1953 Section 24
The registrar, upon registering any death, shall forthwith give to the person giving information concerning the death a certificate under his hand that he has registered the death;
Stan

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 15 January 18 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes, if boxes were added to the death certificate, they could be completed only after the burial or cremation has taken place, usually within a fortnight after the death was registered.  It means that copies of certificates ordered on the date or shortly after registration would omit the information (the boxes would be empty), but copies ordered after the burial or cremation has taken place would include the name of the cemetery or crematorium.  This is likely to be what happens in the USA, Canada and Australia.  When copies of the registers are sent up to the GRO, hopefully nearly all death certificates would contain the name of the cemetery or crematorium, even when a death is subject to a Coroner's Inquest, when burial or cremation is delayed until after the verdict (but there will be a small number of instances where this is not possible).  If they can do this in the USA, Canada and Australia, so can we in the UK!

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 15 January 18 17:04 GMT (UK) »
That seems a sensible suggestion for the future. I wasn't aware of Part C of the form. Do you know how long this has been available?

Stan

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 15 January 18 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I do not know when that form was created and brought into use, likely to be after a change in the law concerning burials and cremations.

Offline boscoe

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 15 January 18 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Well, I guess that answers my question. Cause of death seems not officially recorded. But some record somewhere must have it. I am afraid that I have no MP to ask. My only ancestor MP died in 1913 and I live over 6,000 miles away from Westminster.
Thanks anyway. JIM

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 15 January 18 21:35 GMT (UK) »
That seems a sensible suggestion for the future. I wasn't aware of Part C of the form. Do you know how long this has been available?

Stan

Births and Deaths Registration Act, 1926.
3,-(1) The person effecting the disposal of the body of any deceased person shall, within ninety-six hours of the disposal, deliver to the registrar in the prescribed manner a notification as to the date, place and means of disposal of the body.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1926/48/pdfs/ukpga_19260048_en.pdf

Stan