Author Topic: Death & Burial  (Read 5828 times)

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: Death & Burial
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 20 January 18 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Part C returns tend to come in over weeks (and sometimes months) after the death is registered .... usually sent in by the undertakers.

Adding the information to the death registers would need a change in legislation - and in the vast majority of cases would only show a crematorium name. They never refer to subsequent disposal or burial of ashes.

When I was a registrar I did suggest to GRO that the Part C's held valuable information and should be kept and archived - but I don't think there are any plans to do so. As they are not sent on to GRO, I believe that the retention time and  disposal of them is a matter for local Superintendent Registrars.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 21 January 18 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Adding the information to the death registers would need a change in legislation - and in the vast majority of cases would only show a crematorium name. They never refer to subsequent disposal or burial of ashes.

Thank you Antony; I couldn't see how the final location of ashes could be recorded without resorting to GPS technology.  (I hope no-one takes that idea seriously - please don't mention my name when writing to MPs etc.)

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 21 January 18 14:13 GMT (UK) »
If the name of a crematorium is recorded in a death certificate, anyone can ask the crematorium about the disposition of the ashes which may have been scattered in the gardens or collected by the family or undertaker.  At least there is no grave to be located.  If there is a grave to be located, the cemetery records should show if anybody else is buried in the same grave/plot.  I hope that as many genealogists in the UK as possible are willing to do something to stop the loss of valuable data which could be captured on death certificates before the burial/cremation records are destroyed by the Registrars after five years!

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 21 January 18 14:37 GMT (UK) »
(Nobody will refer to) CarolA3, Rosie99, or Jomot who appear unwilling to do anything to stop the loss of valuable data which could be captured on death certificates before the burial/cremation records are destroyed by the Registrar after five years!

That comment is damned cheeky and does not help your argument.  You need to understand that we are at least as committed as you are to the preservation of records, but in this case you may well be tilting at windmills.

Personal slurs are not welcome here.  I advise you to edit your post before a moderator does it for you.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 13:37 GMT (UK) »
The Government (in particular HM Passport Office which includes the General Register Office) remains unimpressed that death certificates in the USA, Canada and Australia include the place of burial or cremation and has no plans to change the law in this respect.

Perhaps Register Offices should be asked to contribute to the National Burials Index, the names of deceased, age at death and place of burial.  Any views?