Author Topic: Death & Burial  (Read 5832 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death & Burial
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 January 18 12:03 GMT (UK) »
I did not decide where to inter my father’s ashes until some time after his death and cremation. There was no provision whatsoever for me to inform the registrar about the burial place.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 January 18 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Dear Stan

This information may not be available at the time a death is registered but a burial or cremation cannot proceed until the cemetery or crematorium has received a form from the Registrar.  Dear Rosie

When a death is registered the registrar then issues a green form confirming that the death has been registered. As the law states a burial can't take place without this. However at the time of registration the funeral arrangements may not have been made. So you are saying that the person arranging the funeral has to go back to the registrar to tell him where the burial has taken place. I can see nothing in the relevant acts of Parliament that requires this.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 January 18 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Dear Stan

After a burial or cremation has taken place, the cemetery or crematorium tears off part of the form it received from the Registrar beforehand, and returns it to the Registrar to confirm the burial or cremation has taken place. This is not done by the informant nor the undertaker.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 January 18 12:19 GMT (UK) »
I think that my MP has far more important things to deal with than making my family history research easier.   :-\   

Mine too!  In fact I'd be pretty furious if I learned he was spending time trying to make my hobby easier when there are so many huge issues out there that he should be focusing on.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 January 18 12:30 GMT (UK) »

The name of cemetery or crematorium in which a deceased is interred or cremated in the USA, Canada and Australia is recorded on death certificates going back many years.

The death certificate of a relative who was born in Kent and died in 1901 in New York, USA shows:

George Cotton b 20 Oct 1832 England d 17 Jul 1901 Manhattan, New York, USA buried 21 Jul 1901 Linden Hill United Methodist Cemetery, Ridgewood, Queens County, New York

The death certificate of a relative who was born in Northern Ireland and died in 1934 in Ontario, Canada shows:

Joseph Alexander Laird, b 12 Feb 1859 d 10 Mar 1934 Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada buried 14 Mar 1934 Desbarats, Ontario, Canada, undertaker MS Sampson, Sault Ste. Marie.

The death certificate of a relative who was born in Scotland and died in 1957 in New South Wales, Australia shows:

George Milne d 24 Oct 1957 Grafton, New South Wales, Australia, buried 26 Oct 1957 Presbyterian cemetery, South Grafton. Undertaker - John Macdonald. Minister - W A Wilson, Presbyterian.

It is fortunate that the name of the cemetery is recorded on the death certificate because the burial records of the cemetery are incomplete, and this burial is omitted.

Please note also that the dates of burial above are only a few days after the death occurred which is fairly normal.

It is likely that death certificates in many other countries outside the United Kingdom include similar information.   Civil registration of deaths in the UK remains in the Dark Ages!

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 January 18 12:35 GMT (UK) »

Dear Rosie

Thank Heavens you are not a Government Minister!  My request is that serious genealogists ask their MPs to write to Amber Rudd because in England, we do not follow the long-established practices in countries like the USA, Canada and Australia. Serious genealogists know that if a grave can be located, they may discover that other relatives are buried in it or nearby as well, whose names may not have been mentioned in censuses or Wills.  You should try looking for the graves of your relatives, and you may be surprised what you learn from the exercise, apart from how difficult it can be because it is not shown on a death certificate in the UK. 

Ugga chugga!

I am glad I am not a government minister too.  ::)  You are suggesting that I am not a serious genealogist just because I disagree with what you said.   :-\

I am well aware of what information you can get from burial/cemetery records having trawled through registers while doing my family history and trailing around churchyards looking for graves long before many records came online.  Most of my family research has been done trawling through parish registers on film and visiting archives.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 January 18 12:54 GMT (UK) »
I think that my MP has far more important things to deal with than making my family history research easier.   :-\   

Mine too!  In fact I'd be pretty furious if I learned he was spending time trying to make my hobby easier when there are so many huge issues out there that he should be focusing on.

I agree.

There is no legal requirement to use an undertaker in the Uk. It is also perfectly legal to bury a body on private land, subject to the land owners permission and that you follow guidelines regarding proximity to water courses.

Regarding cremation, just because it occurs at a Crematorium it doesn't necessarily mean that is the final resting place. The Ashes can be disposed of anywhere, sometimes many years after the death.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 January 18 13:09 GMT (UK) »
I find it extraordinary that eminent genealogists are in favour of important information kept by Registrars for only five years is not disclosed as a matter of routine as it is in the USA, Canada and Australia.  Lamentable!

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 January 18 13:13 GMT (UK) »
I find it extraordinary that eminent genealogists want every bit of information on a plate.  Surely part of the enjoyment of the hunt is finding this information that is not readily available.  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk