Author Topic: Death & Burial  (Read 5831 times)

Offline Geoff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • TV, great add for Radio
    • View Profile
Death & Burial
« on: Friday 12 January 18 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Has any Chater ever seen a notice or document that says their person
of interest has died and was then buried, all on the one day?
I have a death notice & a separate burial notice issued in Somerset that
claim these two events both occurred on the same day.

Cheers
Geoff
** Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk **
Martlock, Pilton, Doubting & Frome:
MASTERS, PORCH, BOULTON, HACKETT,
Combe Hay, HINTON, WEEKS,
Perthshire: CRICHTON, TAYLOR, MOON, IRONS, KIDD
Durham, FENWICK, PUNSHON, EDDY, HENRY aka LAVERICK
Northumberland, BUCHANAN, HODGSON, HALL,
Lincoln: MASKEY,BIRD,FISHER,HARLEY,
Cambridgeshire, CROSS, FOREMAN, FREEMAN, ONG,
FEAST, MOXON
Gloucestershire, HILL, COX, NEWELL
Sussex, CHAPMAN, NEVE, DOWNER
Surrey, NEWELL, WEBB,

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death & Burial
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 January 18 01:25 GMT (UK) »
If they were Muslim they would probably do that.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 January 18 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes, my 3xG Grandmother, and also her mother-in-law.  Both died of cholera, and same day burial was to prevent it spreading.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 January 18 11:57 GMT (UK) »
From the Western Times - Friday 11 October 1872 This related to Typhus.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline boscoe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 January 18 23:28 GMT (UK) »
I have 4 direct-blood relatives without a  "cause" of death. Is there anyway to find out cause in English records aside from buying the death certificates? I only want cause, nothing more. For example, other countries include cause in various documents: South Africa (hospital); Canada (provincial to 1977); US (open Archive details digitalized soon after death).
For anyone's interest here are the four:
Joseph Wickens, 1806-1893, [3 Laburnum Rd, Chertsey, Surrey]
Mary Ann Keep Wickens, 1809-1892, [same]
Elizabeth Pickard Wickens 1847-1902, [30 Rochester St., Southampton]
Martha Young Roworth, 1849-1935, [98 Thanet St. Clay Cross, Derbyshire]

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 January 18 11:20 GMT (UK) »
I am an enthusiastic genealogist and pleased to say that in many respects genealogical research in the UK is much easier than in other countries because of records which are searchable by the public, for example registrations of births, marriages and deaths until 2007 are searchable on www.ancestry.com

However, there is an issue which is a cause of frustration.

When a death is registered at a Register Office, there is no requirement for the recording of the cemetery in which the deceased is interred or the crematorium in which the deceased is cremated. This information is usually recorded on death certificates in the USA, Canada, and Australia which it has been for many decades but not in the UK. As a result, the task of locating a grave or cremation is less easy in the UK than it is in other countries even though the Registrar who registered the death has that information and keeps it for five years. It really would not be difficult for Registrars to put this information in a box in a death certificate, so please ask your MP to write to Amber Rudd, Secretary of State for the Home Department (which oversees HM Passport Office) requesting that in future death certificates should include the name of cemeteries or crematoria.  Time the UK followed the good practice of the colonies who left the Dark Ages long ago!

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 January 18 11:29 GMT (UK) »

It really would not be difficult for Registrars to put this information in a box in a death certificate, so please ask your MP to write to Amber Rudd, Secretary of State for the Home Department (which oversees HM Passport Office) requesting that in future death certificates should include the name of cemeteries or crematoria.  Time the UK followed the good practice of the colonies who left the Dark Ages long ago!

I think that my MP has far more important things to deal with than making my family history research easier.   :-\    Even knowing where someone is cremated will not necessarily tell you what happened to their remains.

ADDED  As a death certificate is issued before funeral arrangements are made this would surely increase work as the information would have to be added later
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 January 18 11:49 GMT (UK) »

even though the Registrar who registered the death has that information and keeps it for five years.

I was unaware that the Registrar had to be told the place of burial or cremation when registering a death.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 January 18 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Dear Stan

This information may not be available at the time a death is registered but a burial or cremation cannot proceed until the cemetery or crematorium has received a form from the Registrar.  The Registrar receives the information from the informant or undertaker soon after death and keeps a record for five years only.  Having spoken to some Registrars, they see no problem of adding the information to a death certificate at a later date (usually within a week of death) although there may be exceptions as there always are.

Dear Rosie

Thank Heavens you are not a Government Minister!  My request is that serious genealogists ask their MPs to write to Amber Rudd because in England, we do not follow the long-established practices in countries like the USA, Canada and Australia. Serious genealogists know that if a grave can be located, they may discover that other relatives are buried in it or nearby as well, whose names may not have been mentioned in censuses or Wills.  You should try looking for the graves of your relatives, and you may be surprised what you learn from the exercise, apart from how difficult it can be because it is not shown on a death certificate in the UK. 

Ugga chugga!