Author Topic: Lost burial ground, Framfield.  (Read 1757 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lost burial ground, Framfield.
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 14 January 18 16:47 GMT (UK) »
I see now they are charging £18 to do a search.

We charge £18 for up to one hours searching – please make cheques payable to ‘Framfield PCC’ with your enquiry. http://www.framfieldchurch.org.uk/history.html
This is cheap, the Parochial Fee from the 1st January 2018 is £29 for up to one hour, and each subsequent hour or part of an hour. Prescribed by the Parochial Fees Order 2014 (a Statutory Instrument) http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lbq/

Stan

Mapstone, Mapston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you every one for you help and suggestions, I think I will just have to assume that Jeremiah is in the churchyard somewhere. Just as a footnote, I was told by someone in Framfield 10 years ago that there was a possibility that Croxted Lane Yard was somewhere in High Cross but I was also warned not to go looking around there as it belonged to Nicholas van Hoogstraten the notorious gangster. Needless to say I took his advice and never followed it up.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 04:05 GMT (UK) »
On old maps, both High Cross and Crockstead appear to be large farms/estates. Logically I would expect that Croxted Lane would be near, or lead to, Croxted.

Looking at the old maps there is a "road" from Palehouse Common south to Crockstead. I wonder if this might be Croxted Lane? It would explain why Palehouse Common was also given as his abode. The "road" today:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lc9/
Unfortunately the signposts are illegible.
Locals living near the lane might be able to help you. A snail mail letter (with a reply paid envelope) to any of "The Householder/s" living near the lane may yield some results.

It doesn't seem that Croxted Lane Yard existed .... it is not on any of the transcripts found on any sites.  :-\

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 05:00 GMT (UK) »
"It doesn't seem that Croxted Lane Yard existed .... it is not on any of the transcripts found on any sites."
 Only familyhistoryonline had YARD in their transcript.
I think I have knocked on most of the doors down Pale House Common, that's where someone said it maybe in High Cross.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 05:42 GMT (UK) »
In that case I would try to seek out a local history group .. or a REALLY old local resident.  :)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 09 March 18 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi

He committed suicide?

Therefore he may not be in/on the church yard/property?

He may be in an unrecorded, unconsecrated area.
"The other side of the cemetery wall?"

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 10 March 18 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ray but according to Pheno the burial is recorded at St. Thomas with Croxted Lane supplied as other info but no one I have spoken to knows where Croxted Lane was.