Author Topic: 18th Century Land and/or tax, poll records  (Read 775 times)

Offline Neil_A

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
18th Century Land and/or tax, poll records
« on: Friday 12 January 18 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm trying to track down a resident of Brodnant Farm, Llangwestenin from the early 1790s.
Is anyone aware of records covering the early 1790s in this part of the world?

I can see Elizabeth Williams as a tenant farmer from 1794 (newspaper advert re. sale of freehold with Elizabeth as occupier), and I know she is the mother of Robert Thomas (her 1810 Will/Bond found on the Wales Archives Online site), and hoping mother of Owen Thomas (my ancestor, also listed of Brodnant Farm and mentioned in Will)!

However I'm keen to try and find out who was Elizabeth's husband was (and indeed dare I suggest move further back in time than the 1794).

I can see the 1798 tax records on Ancestry, where Elizabeth is mentioned, and I can't see any parish record that would readily support a marriage on Find Your Past. (I do suspect that there is a bit of patronymics going on with my relatives here given Elizabeth was a Williams and my ancestors are Thomas'). So looking at any other potential sources of record either Online or in the local libraries!

Many thanks

Neil

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 18th Century Land and/or tax, poll records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 January 18 19:46 GMT (UK) »
With due apologies if you have tried these.

One:
Elizabeth Williams, Brodnant is in the burial book (FindMyPast) for Llangwstennin as buried May 9th 1810.
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fwal%2f4393953%2f00831&parentid=gbprs%2fd%2f895140210%2f1&highlights=%22%22

Assuming she died after her husband then paging back looking for Brodnant might bring up the husband. (Given Owen & Robert are shown as Thomas the most likely name is Thomas Williams?)

Two: Owen Thomas is in the 1841 census for Brodnant as aged 60yrs. I can't remember whether,in this census, the adult age is rounded up or rounded down to nearest 5 (i.e end in 5 or 0) I suspect the former. So, he is born between 1776 and 1786 (or 1776 -1781 if my suspicion is right). Look for a baptism for an Owen in those years with mother Elizabeth.  Ditto for Robert or any other sibling where you have a rough year of birth. (In fact no harm in looking for Robert some years either side of Owen' likely birth year span?)

Three: Gwynedd Family History Society have published a Monumental Inscriptions book for St Cwstennin Church.

Offline Neil_A

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 January 18 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply Gwill really do appreciate it

I had clocked Owen in the later census years, together with the burial of Elizabeth, indeed Owen's wife Jane has a grave still at the church with an MI that helped me confirm the Brodnant link. That said you are right I need to revisit the burial listings for the time before Elizabeth's death. Perhaps come up with a short list of possibles that have the father as a Thomas Williams (i.e. assuming he passed down his first name as a surname to his sons, if that's the way it works).

Thanks again

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 January 18 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's how I understand it works. One thing to bear in mind is that he might not necessarily be Williams as many of the women did not take their husbands 'surname' but still known as their fathers first name i.e. she might be Elizabeth verch William or Elizabeth William(s).
On the upside all the events are together in the parish book making it easier to look for them. On the downside they didn't put the address in everytime!