Author Topic: James S Connoly, Edinburgh  (Read 2126 times)

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
James S Connoly, Edinburgh
« on: Friday 12 January 18 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am looking for James S Connelly b1820(Connely) who is on the Edinburgh 1861 Census married to Isabella ?with daughter Isobel aged 9 years and son James Smith Connolly
I was wondering if anyone could find out more for me. His parents ,his wife’s maiden name, or any help.I would love to know what he did for a living too.
Much appreciated thank you.
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: James S Connoly, Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 January 18 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

Could it be Isabella Conally baptised 19th July 1851 Edinburgh Midlothian , parents James Smith Conally and Isabella McVie ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 January 18 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes that name sounds familiar thank you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 January 18 15:16 GMT (UK) »
The census index at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk lists the family as James S Connolly, 41; Isabella, 35; Isabella, 9; and James, 7. If you go to the Scotland's People (SP) web site you can view the original of the census, which will tell you his occupation and where they were all born.

The SP index to the old parish registers lists the baptisms of Isabella on 19 July 1851 and James on 19 March 1854, children of James Smith Conally and Isabella McVie. You can view the original baptism records on the SP web site.

James and Isabella were married in Edinburgh in 1845, and the marriage is recorded in both St Cuthbert's parish and Canongate parish, indicating that they lived in different parishes at the time of their marriage.  You can view the original marriage records on the SP web site.

The 1851 census transcription at https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl lists at 459 Lawnmarket James S Connolly, 31, printer compositor manager, born Lasswade, and his wife Isabella, 27, born Canongate. You can view the original census at SP.

On the deaths index, Isabella Connolly, other surname McVie, mother's maiden surname Hamilton, died in St Giles in 1861, aged 35. Her death certificate will tell you the full names of both her parents.

The 1871 census index lists in Newington James Connelly, 51; Maria, 40; James, 17; and Walter P, 6. From the IGI at Familysearch, Walter Philip Connolly was born on 12 August 1864 in Edinburgh to James Smith Connolly and Maria Rutherford, who were married on 15 January 1863 in Edinburgh. You can view their marriage certificate and Walter's birth certificate at SP (the marriage is indexed as J S Connolly.)

James Smith Connolly, aged 54, died in Newington in 1874. You can view his death certificate at SP. It will tell you the full names of both his parents, including his mother's maiden surname.

If, as you say, you were 'looking for' James Smith Connolly, you must have been looking in the wrong places.  ;) Everything you wanted to know is available at Scotland's People.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 January 18 17:34 GMT (UK) »
I am not a member of Scotland’s People and am researching for my daughter, I thought it was pay for view for that website which I cannot afford, so although I  know of Scotlands people I came here for help. Thank you very much for the information you have provided, but I will not be paying for certificates or for credits on Scotland’s people.
I will pass this on to my daughter so thanks again

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 January 18 17:35 GMT (UK) »

30 credits are £7-50

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 January 18 17:43 GMT (UK) »
I know Sandra, thanks ,but I am retired with very little disposable income and an MOT that has just cost me all my savings!! I will pass it on to my daughter who may want to pay . Thanks

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 January 18 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes, its difficult at times isn't it.  We are also pensioners but I have a few spare credits so bear with me while I type the information for you.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 January 18 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Death Certificate. James Smith Connolly. Passed away Golf Hotel Edinburgh.

Sandra