Author Topic: Weird problem with laptop since latest Windows 10 update  (Read 3054 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Weird problem with laptop since latest Windows 10 update
« on: Friday 12 January 18 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just wondering if anybody else has come across problems since the latest Windows 10 update.  I have two laptops and both now have different issues since the update which took the best part of a day to update.

My 10 year old Dell studio now has large fuzzy fonts and no way to change the screen resolution back to what it was, googling brought up something about graphics card being obsolete, I've given up on it, I was replacing it with a MacBook Pro that I bought last year anyway.  Time to transfer and put it away.

The issue that I am a little concerned about is my work laptop.  An Acer AspireV.  It doesn't have a great problem except that a minute or two after logging on, most days, I can be sending my first email of the day or looking at a website, and it suddenly closes down and restarts.  For no apparent reason at all.  Googling brought up stuff about overheating, but I have cleaned the fan, and its not overheating anyway, it has only been on for a minute or two. 

I'm not very worried yet, but it's a bit annoying, and just wondering if anyone has come across similar.

Kerryb
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Weird problem with laptop since latest Windows 10 update
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 January 18 16:42 GMT (UK) »
I've been having a similar problem with my 6 month old HP laptop after a very protracted update (took 3 or 4 hours).  The shutdown happens quite (apparently) randomly when I'm say just looking at the BBC website.  The computer then restarts straightaway, but has a message on the screen saying "Please wait".  You have no option to do anything else, since pressing buttons makes no difference.  Eventually, and it can be several minutes later, it starts to work again.  Last week, I was ready to take the laptop back to John Lewis, where I bought it from, but it has been behaving itself this week.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 January 18 16:49 GMT (UK) »
My old Win 7 laptop is a nightmare now.  I'm going to have to replace it.

They were forced to rush out a patch for the "Meltdown' and 'Spectre ' vulnerabilities on all chips produced since 1995 (including Apple machines)

Apparently, the worst problems are with Win 7 and 8.1 (and earlier). Win 10 is slightly slower  (very little difference on these machines here) and the patch they did for AMD chips just froze machines, so they stopped pushing it out.

I'm on a fairly newish Apple at the moment and everything seems OK.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 January 18 16:59 GMT (UK) »
I’m glad I’m not alone, I thought at first I was doing something to make the laptop just go off.

As for my Dell, it is creaking to its death, it had to go to the local shop last year after one update was so big, it crashed and they had to put in a partition to update it.  Cost me £75, thanks a lot Microsoft.  Bought a Mac which I love, just discovered I can use photoshop on it but didn’t want to stop using family historian.  But have just bought TreeView and it does everything that fh does plus I can use my tree on the website on my iPad and sync it with the Mac.  The m key broke off ages ago so I must put it to rest!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 January 18 17:10 GMT (UK) »
I am on 8.1 and it is running as usual.

Added I have automatic updates
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 January 18 17:13 GMT (UK) »
OK, my HP laptop does that shutting down and restarting thing and as it's still in warranty today I spent nearly 2 hours on the 'phone to an HP engineer.  We did all kinds of tests on the hard drive and everything else (too complicated for me to explain) and everything came up OK.  As it's still under warranty the engineer wants me to contact the place I bought it from, giving a case number and they should arrange for it to be collected and repaired.

HOWEVER - before I do that he suggested that a possible problem would be a Windows update.  I found I'd complained on here about my laptop in December, so I went to Windows updates and found all the ones in December, I ignored any updates to do with Word, Excel etc. and just chose the Windows updates.  Then I uninstalled them.  One of them KB4054022 couldn't be uninstalled.

Now I wait to see if the laptop keeps restarting again.  If it doesn't then the Windows updates were to blame.  The HP engineer explained to me that quite often Windows updates fix one problem but cause other problems with peoples' laptops and PCs and the problems caused are different to each make of PC.  He told me not to worry about the updates I'd uninstalled because Windows will know about the fixes and will be working on patches to fix the fixes and there will be more updates soon.  He told me this is how everything in computers works - whether that's true, although it sounded plausible, or whether he was just saying that I don't know.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 January 18 17:16 GMT (UK) »
alpine - it seems that Windows updates causes the restart problem mainly with HP laptops.  Other PCs have different problems.  I'll wait to see if mine behaves itself now.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 January 18 17:26 GMT (UK) »
I am on 8.1 and it is running as usual.

Check your update History, Rosie - when were your last updates and what were they?  Mine started going funny on Wednesday afternoon, immediately after the big update. I tried to go back to before (using restore point) but it got in a knot and said it couldn't.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 January 18 17:34 GMT (UK) »
My 10 year old Dell studio now has large fuzzy fonts and no way to change the screen resolution back to what it was, googling brought up something about graphics card being obsolete, I've given up on it, I was replacing it with a MacBook Pro that I bought last year anyway.  Time to transfer and put it away.
That could be a problem with the graphics card driver. I had a different problem because the Intel graphics card driver hadn't been tested properly before release.
It would be worth seeing if you can update the driver.