Author Topic: Weird problem with laptop since latest Windows 10 update  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Weird problem with laptop since latest Windows 10 update
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 January 18 15:38 GMT (UK) »
I use a Mac for most things but use a pc for Family Historian and some other things. The one that failed was one I used when watchng tv!
Have just got a replacement for that  so will be setting up tomorrow. On my phone at the moment as on the move ;D
My  Mac is in my workroom - ready and waiting. So I'm back to 3 .

Mac screens are what I go for though I don't like the bossy way it runs!!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 15 January 18 16:14 GMT (UK) »
I bought my MacBook Pro 2 years ago but haven't really used it much.  Took it to France two summers ago because if fitted so nicely at the bottom of the suitcase.  I like you kept my old laptop going because of Family Historian. 

However I have downloaded onto the Mac,Treeview and started to use it and it is actually ok.  Version 2 is better than version 1 which had various problems.  So far no problems and it does everything that FH does, just differently so I am going to persevere.  Apparently there is a way to use FH on a virtual something or other on a Mac but on FHUG there were too many different opinions and options and I just got confused.

I bought a CD for work last year for the latest version of Photoshop elements and found included, was a Mac CD too so have put that on the Mac, so I now feel right at home.  8)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 January 18 17:03 GMT (UK) »
You can run Windows on a Mac, Kerry:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/how-run-windows-on-mac-vmware-boot-camp-virtualbox-3497251/

I know of lots of people who do and are quite happy. 

I prefer to keep them separate - I keep my Mac mainly for photos and art works but do tend to drift into other things  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk