Author Topic: Weird problem with laptop since latest Windows 10 update  (Read 3052 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Weird problem with laptop since latest Windows 10 update
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 January 18 17:55 GMT (UK) »
What number was the update that caused it  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 January 18 18:15 GMT (UK) »
My 10 year old Dell studio now has large fuzzy fonts and no way to change the screen resolution back to what it was, googling brought up something about graphics card being obsolete, I've given up on it, I was replacing it with a MacBook Pro that I bought last year anyway.  Time to transfer and put it away.
That could be a problem with the graphics card driver. I had a different problem because the Intel graphics card driver hadn't been tested properly before release.
It would be worth seeing if you can update the driver.
Thank you Graham, I will investigate that at the weekend.  I need time to sit down and stay calm  ::) ::)  Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 January 18 23:00 GMT (UK) »
What number was the update that caused it  :-\

The two I deleted were KB4055237 and KB4058043, both dated December 2017, I think one was dated 11 December, I can't remember the other one, possibly 17 December 2017.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 January 18 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lizzie

I assume that the update numbers are probably anyway.  I have not had either of those but have KB4056895 & KB4055266.

Hopefully they can sort out your problems quickly.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 January 18 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lizzie, have just managed to uninstall one of those updates and I have screen resolution back to normal.  Unfortunately the other update is being installed as I speak and I can’t do anything about it.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 January 18 12:13 GMT (UK) »
You could uninstall the other one when it's finished being installed!  I'm glad uninstalling one of them has solved your problem though.  I'd never heard of Word updates causing problems until recently.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 January 18 20:56 GMT (UK) »
My old laptop seems to be in a pemanent state of Automatic Repair now, despite me doing all the reboot routines. 

It's a good excuse to get a new one  - but hate all that setting up  ::)

Anyone got any recommendations for a new one?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 January 18 14:37 GMT (UK) »
You could uninstall the other one when it's finished being installed!  I'm glad uninstalling one of them has solved your problem though.  I'd never heard of Word updates causing problems until recently.

Uninstalled both the updates from my work laptop and for the first day in a couple of weeks it has done that strange sudden closedown and restart.  So I think it is sorted.  Thank you

Kerry

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 January 18 14:39 GMT (UK) »
My old laptop seems to be in a pemanent state of Automatic Repair now, despite me doing all the reboot routines. 

It's a good excuse to get a new one  - but hate all that setting up  ::)

Anyone got any recommendations for a new one?

All I can say is get a Mac!  Life is too short to sit around all day waiting for MS to upload updates to a laptop, most of which at the end of the day is stuff I don't want and won't use anyway!

But that is probably not want you want to hear because I think you use Macs anyway.

Kerry