Author Topic: Elsie Gibbons - help?  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Yukishiro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elsie Gibbons - help?
« on: Friday 12 January 18 20:42 GMT (UK) »
For many years i have been trying to discover what happened to my great Aunt Elsie. Elsie was sent to St Albans training school for girls in Worcester in Oct 1924. She was 14.
Elsie was born 6th Aug 1910, in Lincolnshire, and as far as i know never came back to the area. Any help with the home, or any other info appreciated.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Elsie Gibbons - help?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 January 18 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Was there any suggestion she had married?  There are about 11 Elsie Gibbons marriages on freebmd between 1929-1939 but none in the Worcs or Lincs area
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 January 18 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Full birthdates were shown on death certs from 1969 and there are 6 "Elsie" deaths with her birthdate but with (probably) married surnames.

you would need to check for a Gibbons marriage to the surname on the death index (eg) Elsie Bailey died 1988 in Leeds.   You would have to check for an Elsie Gibbons marriage to a Bailey

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 January 18 23:15 GMT (UK) »
She may be the Elsie Gibbons who married Walter W Daly in Hendon, Dec qtr 1936.

Death as Elsie Daly (born 6 Aug 1910), Jan 1999 Watford.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Yukishiro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 January 18 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately i know nothing more of her after 14 years old. She was not known to my family due to being given to a home. I have tried to search 1939 records for her unmarried and failed so reasoned she must have married, but i have struggled as i dont know where she was sent/went after Worcester. I was hoping to find a record of her time at the home which may help, or a discharge date. I have only matched one Elsie with a dob matching hers but it didnt look like she had the same maiden name, where do you find the matches? Thanks

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 January 18 23:26 GMT (UK) »
There are about 9 individuals named Elsie (no middle initial) in the 1939 Register with her exact birthdate.  I see that she had no middle name on her 1910 Grimsby birth registration.

To get marriages before that date you need to go to FreeBMD or similar to find Elsie Gibbons marrying into the relevant surname.  Hence the Daly one which seems to me to be a match.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Yukishiro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 January 18 23:28 GMT (UK) »
She may be the Elsie Gibbons who married Walter W Daly in Hendon, Dec qtr 1936.

Death as Elsie Daly (born 6 Aug 1910), Jan 1999 Watford.

Thank you!! I had looked at an Elsie Daly on the 1939 register however the record was closed and i hadn't seen any date of death for her.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 January 18 23:39 GMT (UK) »
You ought really to get the 1936 marriage certificate to confirm Elsie's details (e.g. as to paternity) match what you know.

Walter William Daly was born on 7 August 1905 to single mother Eva Blanch Daly and baptised at St Saviour, Paddington on 19 October 1906.

There are various London workhouse records for him and his mother in his early childhood.  Eva had at least one more child, Nellie Daly, in Paddington Dec qtr 1910.

Walter's death was registered in Watford, Dec qtr 1975.  He and Elsie may have had a daughter in Barnet in 1937 - see FreeBMD for a Daly birth with mother's maiden name Gibbons in that year.  The date is too recent for us to post details on the thread in case she is still living.