Author Topic: Latin writing on 1718/9 marriage bond: Help Please  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Bruiser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Latin writing on 1718/9 marriage bond: Help Please
« on: Saturday 13 January 18 11:19 GMT (UK) »
I would greatly appreciate help with the transcription and translation of the inserted Latin writing on the attached portion of a 1718/9 marriage bond. I am particularly interested in where George Trotter came from as I am trying to determine which one he was. The marriage bond was for John Mason of Heighington who married 03 Mar 1718/9 at Durham Cathedral.

Bruce.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Latin writing on 1718/9 marriage bond: Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 January 18 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Noverint Universi per praesentes; Nos Joh(ann)em Mason de
Heighington in Com(itatu) Dunelm’ yeo(ma)n et
Georgiu(m) Trotter de ead(e)m in eod(e)m Com(itatu) yeo(ma)n
Teneri et Firmiter obligari ...

May all men know by these presents that we, John Mason of Heighington in the county of Durham, yeoman, and George Trotter of the same place in the same county, yeoman, are held and firmly bound ...

The bond was £200, and the date was 3 March 1718/19.

The rest of the handwritten part relates to the church official who handled the bond. I can do a full transcription/translation if you really need it, but unfortunately not right now.

Offline Bruiser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Latin writing on 1718/9 marriage bond: Help Please
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 January 18 22:35 GMT (UK) »
G'day Bookbox,

Thanks once again for your invaluable help it is very much appreciated. That is precisely what I needed and I really don't need the info on the church official but thanks for the offer anyway.

All the best, Bruce.