Author Topic: McAlpine, More and Hardy (Hardie)  (Read 1150 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McAlpine, More and Hardy (Hardie)
« on: Saturday 13 January 18 22:55 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the family of William McAlpine and Ann Swan, married in 1808 in Aberfoyle,Perth,Scotland (also listed in Buchanan, Stirlingshire, Scotland). I know they had at least 3 children, John (born 1808), Adam (born 1810) and Ann (born 1814), all in Buchanan. Ann married William More in 1831 and had two children, Ann Steel More (born 1833) and James (born 1836). Wm More died at some point and Ann married William Hardy in 1852. She had at least one more child, Mary Hardie  (born 1853). I think she is an ancestor who ended up in New Zealand at a very young age and married Edward Keane (see this thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=782076.0) and then went to Australia with her children.
I am trying to find the death of Ann McAlpine More Hardie (she is in Falkirk alone in the 1861 census) and figure out what happened to her other two children. It is possible one of them took Mary to NZ.
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: McAlpine, More and Hardy (Hardie)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 January 18 23:02 GMT (UK) »
(she is in Falkirk alone in the 1861 census)

Where is Mary Hardie born 1853?

When and where was Ann born?  I can't see the 1861 entry you mention
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 January 18 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Mary was born in Falkirk, Ann was born in  in 1814 in Buchanan. In 1861 Ann (listed Anne Hardie) is living in Falkirk at 5 Mary Square (ED 4, household 83, line 23). In 1851 she is listed as Ann More and living with her mother, Ann McAlpine and two children on Mary Street (ED 9, page 18, line 13).

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 January 18 00:31 GMT (UK) »
1861 does not show her birthplace as Buchanan - shown as County & Parish Stirling.  Mary Hardie would only be 8yrs old in 1861 but where is she if not with Anne?

What is Anne’s marital status on the 1861 entry as you don’t mention whether William Hardie/Hardy died before 1861
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 January 18 02:01 GMT (UK) »
The question about Mary is a good one. It is hard to say where she might be. She might have older siblings still alive (Ann Steel and James). William died in 1860 (found his certificate on Scotland's People website) so Ann was a widow. I wasn't sure about Country & Parish but wondered if that just meant she was literally born in the area (an expression). But again, that is a pure guess.