Author Topic: Advice please.  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice please.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 January 18 11:06 GMT (UK) »
As I mentioned on your other thread (to which you didn't respond) you seem to be making things over complicated for yourself by ordering from the local register offices.   It's far simpler ordering direct from the GRO and all you need to quote is the details from the relevant index.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 January 18 11:26 GMT (UK) »
As I mentioned on your other thread (to which you didn't respond) you seem to be making things over complicated for yourself by ordering from the local register offices.   It's far simpler ordering direct from the GRO and all you need to quote is the details from the relevant index.

Annette

Not only that, it is far cheaper! Even if you order a paper certificate it is only £9.25 post free compared to £10 plus postage from a register office.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 January 18 11:36 GMT (UK) »

Annette
I agree with Annette that you are over- complicating things and you are also ignoring relevant information that has been given to you already on your various threads.

Away back in November we ascertained that a William Hopwood Jones is buried in the same grave as your grandfather Alfred Evan Jones. Alfred is the illegitimate son of Frances Jones. All the evidence from census, 1939 register, baptism record etc points to Frances being the daughter of William Hopwood Jones and Ellen Jones nee Tomlinson born 1891. You have been given the exact reference to purchase her birth certificate -
Frances Jones jun quarter 1891 Warrington reg district volume 8c page 222
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 January 18 11:56 GMT (UK) »
PDF copies are only £6.00 from GRO for both birth and death certificates.  :)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 January 18 12:13 GMT (UK) »
But note that the dates for births stop at 1917 and for deaths the last year given is 1957.  So I'm afraid Dorothy will have to pay the full £9.25 for a certificate as Frances died in 1967.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 January 18 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Agree GG but she was also referring to wanting a birth cert from the 1890s which comes under the £6.00 PDF. The choice is there on GRO.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline dorothyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 January 18 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone.
Thank you for your help. I'm sorry  I've not  been answering.  I've been going through all everyone's  help. Just so I can understand it all properly. ( Make it sink in my memory )   
I would like to thank you all for the help everyone as given me. Without your help  I wouldn't have known  what I do now. I didn't  even know who my great grans parents names are.  Which I was wondering.  When I went to the library in Manchester  I was trying to find  out about my great gran Frances Jones.  Then I got stuck because I didn't know where she was born or the year  of her birth.  Both my mum and I thought my grandad was born in 1910. But since  everyone's  help he was born 1914.   I have checked  with the cemetery where my grandad is buried. And apparently  he passed away at the age of 31. He would have been 32 the month after if he had lived.  So when I applied for my grandparents marriage certificate. I noticed that my grandad was 19 when he married my gran. And my gran was 24 .
In 1933. As they got married in December 1933.
When I went backwords   taking there ages off the year they was born. 
My grandad was born 1914. But my gran was born 1909 which is odd because  my mum always said she was born 1911. Unless mum was told different  for some reason.

I have seen  my great grans fathers  name in the same grave as my grandad.  Which I really  didn't  know about until  I was told by the cemetery  person.  Who told me the date of when my grandad was buried. And the date he passed away. 
So everything everyone  has told me  on this group  have been  spot on with things I knew. Even  the things I forgot about.   I would like to say that I will be getting my grandads death certificate. Very soon.  And then my great grans death certificate. Which hopefully  next  then  her birth  certificate.
Then my next task is trying to find out where my gran was actually born and her proper year.  But as yet I can't find her as we really don't know  if she was adopted  or not and the year's  of her birth are 2 different year's.  Unless  she was born 1909 and somone  adopted  her 1911. I only know what my mum told  me. But there again my gran  wouldn't  talk to my mum about things not even about herself.  So we just know she was born 26th of February. 1911  I think  it's possible  she was born 1909.if she was 24 when she married my grandad Alfred evan Jones in 1933.

Anyway thank you so much for your help. I can't do this without any help.
It's  amazing  how you can find things in a matter of a short time.  It takes me ages to find 1 thing.then I'm not sure if I had the wright ones.  That's when I was doing my dad's side of the family.

Thank you all again

Offline dorothyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 January 18 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone.
 I'm not sure who the kind person was who gave me the details of how to get certificates.

But  can someone  please tell me.  When I eventually  apply for my great grans birth certificate.  What quater  would it come  under?  As she was born in march  on the 12th.  And would they know  if she's the wright person I'm buying the certificate  of.  I have  seen  the details  someone  put on for me. I just can't seem to find it. 
I was originally going to put 12th of march  1890. But now I'm not sure  if  it's 1891 and still the 12th of march.
A lady  put my great grans  baptism  details on for me I think  and shows  her date as 29th of march 1891. 
I know I keep asking the same thing.  But I have a  slight  memorie  problem. I can't seem to hold a memorie  long unless  I wright thing's down.  Even when I'm  reading something  I have to read  the same line more than 3/4 times.

I don't know if that is normal  or just that I have  too much on my mind.

I would like to share something with  this group.  And that is.  Before  I put my  help on here I didn't  know  where to start or where to go for help. As the only person  who could help me  had passed away. And she was my dear  mum.
She helped me in everything  I wanted to know.  If she knew  it she would  tell me. If she wasn't sure  she said oh I'm not sure.  Even  to a photo  I had and wasn't sure if I was in the photo  as it was a school  photo.taken with other classes.  I shown  her this photo  and said mum can you see anyone in this photo  you  reconise.  I was looking for my school  friends. 
She said yes really  excited.  Saying  yes  I do I asked  who it was. She pointed  out the person  and said there's you. I asked  where  she shown me. After asking  her are you sure.  She replied.  Well if I don't know my own daughter now I would never know.  Then she explained  about the problem I have with my parting.  Which I still have today.  It's called a cow's lip. 
So when I became stuck with my quest  and had no help. A voice  came in my head.  Saying  trying  your  group. (As I've not been on it for a while ) so I thought  I will  see if anyone can help me.
And I am  really  pleased  I did.  You have all helped  me things I never knew and no doubt  my mum  didn't  either. 
I'd like to think  my mum  is watching me doing this as it's for her as I made her a promise. I would  find out for her.
But she passed away before I could finish it.  I know she's  not here. But a promise is a promise.  I owe her that for her help. And it would  help me  with my family background and my family tree.

There is one thing my mum said but apparently  there's  no trace  of  him as I've found out he was born in England.
Which was my grandad.   My mum thought my grandad was born in wales and she mentioned  Rhos on sea. 
I don't know  how it's connected.  But I've found out my grandad was born in England.  As the Welsh  register office  said there's nothing  on their records.  But told me there is on England records.  So now it's been confirmed  that my grandad was born in England. 
I just  can't  remember what Rhos on sea has to do with either my grandad or his mum.

Anyway thank you all again  I really do appreciate all your help  and advice.
Thank you

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 January 18 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Dorothy the best place to get the birth certificate is from the GRO website

This is the birth registration that Bumble B found

Name:                   Mother's Maiden Surname:    
JONES, FRANCES       TOMLINSON     
GRO Reference: 1891  J Quarter in WARRINGTON  Volume 08C  Page 222   Order

Tomlinson is the maiden name of Frances mother.

You can order from the search page:-

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

If you are not already registered on the GRO website you will need to do this before you can order the certificate.

You don't need to do anything other than press either the certificate button or the pdf button, the website will automatically fill in the details for you.  You then carry on through the ordering process.

If you get stuck do ask for help, that's what we are here for.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire