Author Topic: Billy Bell of Whitehaven  (Read 1389 times)

Offline peterg42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Billy Bell of Whitehaven
« on: Sunday 14 January 18 10:41 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother Margaret Eleanor Clint was, I believe, born in Cockermouth in 1891. She married Samuel Gaskell in Southport in 1914
In my youth i recall being told that there was a connection with the Bell family in Whitehaven, and Billy Bell's barber shop was pointed out to me when I passed through as a teenager. I believe that Billy arrived from the Isle of Man in the 1870's. Does anybody have any idea what the connection might be?

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Billy Bell of Whitehaven
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 January 18 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Have you gone through all the siblings of your Margaret Eleanor Clint to see if any married into the Bell family ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline peterg42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 January 18 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I checked all her sisters Mary, Jane, Frances, Jessie and Ethel. I don't think it can have been her brother because there was an Ian Bell born around the same time as my father (1915) who was regarded as a Cousin or Uncle.

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 January 18 06:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Intriguing!😊

I knew Billy Bells barbers shop well

By coincidence I spent years in Whitehaven and not long ago came to Southport for a while. I will do some digging!

We used to come to Whitehaven every few weeks specially for my Dad and brother to get their hair cut at Billy’s.

I just waited though I did benefit from visits to cafes and record shops etc which we didn’t have put in the sticks miles away. He was always kind to us and made me welcome too

The shop was in Tangier Street zbacking on to the harbour and near the old bus station

It was long and narrow and we used to go up a step at the back and there was a soft bench to wait for them on and they had Children’s Choice then Family Favourites on
Not much used to you

I will do some digging here and around but it looks to me as though this uncle or cousin may be worth investigating

It may be worth looking at the next generation up or down as it’s uncle or cousin if that. From my own family it was quite common for people to take a child under thei wing and eventually to live with them especiallif they’d come from away or suffeeed casualty during the war

Have you looked at Billy Bell?  He was quite renounced and there will be photos with connections in local papers

Loads of people came from the Isle of Man and in the 1870s they could just have come and gone on the boats that came regularly with cargo until not long ago

Bell is a common name though 

Can you give any dates or ages or locations for this uncle?  If they’re too recent just put the detail in a pm or see if you know the generation before

If you’d like to know about any businesses places etc in Southport feel free. I’ve got access to loads of info

Good luck

Emms😊
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas