Author Topic: Help with marriage in Latin (Czech records)  (Read 238 times)

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with marriage in Latin (Czech records)
« on: Sunday 14 January 18 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 Please could someone help fill in the blanks with this marriage on 18th September 1719 of Paul Berger ? to Dorothea ? daughter of late Francis ?

Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with marriage in Latin (Czech records)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 January 18 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I'm finding this one tricky, and if it's anything like English registers written in Latin, they sometimes put a non-Latin word in for occupations because there isn't a Latin equivalent.

Anyway, Paul Berger looks right, then the next two words are likely to be an occupation or a residence.

The word immediately after Dorothea is Vidua - widow, but the next bit I can work out appears to be defunctum Franciscum Mentzl civem Caruds:(?) par: (the late Francis Mentzl citizen of the parish of Caruds.) If this was the name of her late husband I would expect it to have different case endings: defuncti Francisci Mentzl civis... so the intervening words that I can't get might have some bearing on it. Caruds is presumably some other place - the colon may well indicate that this is an abbreviation.

Finally there's the priest's name Jospeh Czeyzl, and witnesses (T:) - Georgius Martinecz, Doroth. Feiferova, and a bit more that I can't get.

Edit:
Just seen your next post - what I have as Caruds: might be Chruds:
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 January 18 17:29 GMT (UK) »
I think it could be Paul Berger, native of Moravia ?
ADDED - natione Moravus (= by nationality a Moravian)

The place name may be a latinization of Chrudim ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrudim

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 January 18 20:38 GMT (UK) »
I think it could be Paul Berger, native of Moravia ?
ADDED - natione Moravus (= by nationality a Moravian)
Good idea - and now you've suggested it, I can easily see that.

The place name may be a latinization of Chrudim ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrudim
The image in the second thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=785753.0 includes the word Chrudimensis, so Chrudis seems a reasonable abbreviation.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help with marriage in Latin (Czech records) Completed
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 January 18 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, Bookbox & Arthurk. I think you are right with native of Moravia - unfortunately rather a large area in which to look for him! I will see if I can find Dorothy 's earlier marriage.
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR